New Wheels for my Emonda? - Fulcrum vs. shimano

rane
rane Posts: 25
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys

I wrote earlier about an upgrade for my new Emonda SL 6 with a set of Bontrager Race wheels.

Though i did not come to a decision about a potential upgrade. At that time i had a look at Shimano WH-6800 ( as a cheap upgrade) vs. the Dura Ace WH-9000 C24 Cl

Now i have been researching further and spoken with several riders...

My ride: :D
Asset_237364?wid=1490&hei=1080&fit=fit,1&fmt=jpg&qlt=80,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

Next candidate iteration: :D

Fulcrum Racing Zero Red Passion Wheels
http://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-rac ... 71171.html
15201_fulcrum_racing_zero_red_passion_wheels_pair.jpg

vs.

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 Wheels
http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-dur ... 59288.html
9491_shimano_dura_ace_9000_c24_wheels_pair.jpg

Which wheels should I consider here?

Thank you
Trek Émonda SL 6
Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
Columbus Gara (Fun old School bike)

Comments

• you will need some pedals first...
  • Between those two, I'd go with the C24 for both performance and value reasons. Many other choices out there depending on what you are looking for eg., all-rounds vs. climbing and descending vs. etc. Weight, frequency, distance, terrain, weather, racing, budget, etc.?
  • rane
    you will need some pedals first...

hehe right! I have a pair of Dura Ace PD-9000 so no need there:-D
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I have the Fulcrum Zeros and they are great- 1485g, stiff and bear up to my 16 stone very well.

and they look great.
  • rane
    Between those two, I'd go with the C24 for both performance and value reasons. Many other choices out there depending on what you are looking for eg., all-rounds vs. climbing and descending vs. etc. Weight, frequency, distance, terrain, weather, racing, budget, etc.?

OK thanks for your input! :-)

Well i'm looking for a good all-rounds wheelset that would be considered a good upgrade from my current (Bontrager Race)...

The budget would be around the current two candidates
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • rane
    Well
    I see it says:
    1 to Fulcrum and 1 to Shimano.
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • Rane, would like to hear more about your weight, frequency, distance, terrain, weather, etc. Heavier/stronger/racer might prefer the added stiffness and not be bothered by the harsher ride of the of the Fulcrum whereas lighter/endurance/climbing rider would find the C24 plenty stiff and more comfortable. But if you are looking to do a lot of riding or racing on relatively flat terrain you may find both inadequate and might want to go with a more aero all-around, mid depth and wider rim like the Reynolds SLG if your budget can stand it and if you aren't planning to do a lot of riding in the mountains. So, you need to say more about your characteristics listed above to know what would be best. Based on your choice of bike - the Emonda isn't particularly stiff or aero - the best suited wheels would likelly be the DA C24. Steve
  • rane
    Rane, would like to hear more about your weight, frequency, distance, terrain, weather, etc. Heavier/stronger/racer might prefer the added stiffness and not be bothered by the harsher ride of the of the Fulcrum whereas lighter/endurance/climbing rider would find the C24 plenty stiff and more comfortable. But if you are looking to do a lot of riding or racing on relatively flat terrain you may find both inadequate and might want to go with a more aero all-around, mid depth and wider rim like the Reynolds SLG if your budget can stand it and if you aren't planning to do a lot of riding in the mountains. So, you need to say more about your characteristics listed above to know what would be best. Based on your choice of bike - the Emonda isn't particularly stiff or aero - the best suited wheels would likelly be the DA C24. Steve

Well.

My weight is about 95kg right now ( i'm working to loose some weight atm) I should get down at 83-85kg with in a year.
    I would love to make it a 3 times a week thing so i get at good training routine.
    Distance wise it would be 10-200km so it differs a lot.
    The weather is Nordic/Scandinavia. I'm from Denmark. So our seasons here are very different...

I would definately consider the Reynolds SLG's and still have the C24 in mind

Thank you very much Steve!!! :-)

// Rane
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've got a pair of both c24 9000 and racing zeros. At your weight I would go racing zero without question. Stiffer wheel and you're not trading anything on weight for that. I couldn't detect any difference in ride between the two wheels, though I run 25 tyres which would help. The c24 is a good wheel but racing zero pips it I think, assuming price is broadly comparable.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    So, my input would be for you to buy the right wheels for the rider you are rather than the rider you aspire to be.

You are 95kg and about to ride through the winter. Forget low spoke superlight factory wheels for now. Ride through the winter with the wheels you have and then, if you manage to shift a few kg, look again in April to see what type of riding you plan to do and shop appropriately. If you are still in 90kg bracket then a nice pair of handbuilts with a 32/36 combo would be about right. If you plan to do hilly routes then shallow rims will help but will not make a big rider sprightly up the lumps. If your routes are mainly flat then deeper rims are more aero but only when you get above 20mph.

If you just want new wheels to get the look then buy the wheels you like the look of rather than fussing over performance characteristics that won't apply.

If you want to spend some money to help your performance and help you lose weight then get a turbo so that you can ride indoors when the weather is sh!te. Failing that, a new Gabba or something like that.
  • rane
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    So, my input would be for you to buy the right wheels for the rider you are rather than the rider you aspire to be.

You are 95kg and about to ride through the winter. Forget low spoke superlight factory wheels for now. Ride through the winter with the wheels you have and then, if you manage to shift a few kg, look again in April to see what type of riding you plan to do and shop appropriately. If you are still in 90kg bracket then a nice pair of handbuilts with a 32/36 combo would be about right. If you plan to do hilly routes then shallow rims will help but will not make a big rider sprightly up the lumps. If your routes are mainly flat then deeper rims are more aero but only when you get above 20mph.

If you just want new wheels to get the look then buy the wheels you like the look of rather than fussing over performance characteristics that won't apply.

If you want to spend some money to help your performance and help you lose weight then get a turbo so that you can ride indoors when the weather is sh!te. Failing that, a new Gabba or something like that.

Good reply thank you

My weight at 95kg is a little too high but my height is also 195cm so it's not like i'm unathletic...
    The matter of my high weight was because i became a father a year (my first child).
    This put my beloved cycling on hold a little bit and in that combination of not changing my eating behaviour that much... well there you have it...

I'm usually very good getting in shape fast... My ideal weight is ~83kg i guess.

But i totally agree with you, I should keep my current over the winter and then look at the scale and wallet:-)

thanks !
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • Not sure if it matters to you but the Fulrcrums will have a noisy rear hub. The Freewheel drives me made on a friends, some people like it other dont. The Shimano wheel whilst there is a noise from the hub it is almost silent.
    D
  • rane
    FuriousD wrote:
    Not sure if it matters to you but the Fulrcrums will have a noisy rear hub. The Freewheel drives me made on a friends, some people like it other dont. The Shimano wheel whilst there is a noise from the hub it is almost silent.
    D

Good detail:-) THX!
    Trek Émonda SL 6
    Radon ZR Team 6.0 MTB
  • When I was looking at wheels on here it used to annoy me that people would harp on about handbuilts, but, I bought some.

Archetype 32R/28F, at 187cm and 95kgs and doing about 7-800 miles a month I really appreciate their sturdiness, I put my lighter wheels back on recently for a test but at 16spokes front and 20 rear I just didnt feel confident going over rough roads or sprinting, def something to be said for confidence in wheels rather than worrying about a couple of hundred grams.

http://wodenonline.myshopify.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets/products/h-plus-son-archtype-miche-primato-wheelset-black mine have Novatec hubs.

Depends on your mileage of course, maybe you want Sunday bling rather than high mileage training wheels.