Perfect Commuter: Canyon Ultimate Al SLX?

rupertpaul
rupertpaul Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Commuting general
I am fed up of my commuter bike....a Trek Pilot 2.1 from about 2010. It weighs a ton, and I have to lift it up from the cellar each morning! The commute is 11km each way, flat, through central London. My weekend ride is a Roubaix SL3 Pro Dura-Ace, which I love.

I am thinking of a Canyon Ultimate Al SLX to commute - its light and thinking AL as more sturdy for the daily grind. Love to hear people's thoughts on the bike? Is it worth spending the extra for the Aero version? I want to ride quick and enjoy my ride -its basically a 11km time trial each morning!!

Comments

• Personally I'm a convert to disc brakes for commuting (due to the amount of stupid drivers and cyclists) so they're on my dream commuter bike. With the Canyon being that expensive though why not just use the Roubaix you love?
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    A heavy commuter bike is a great for helping with riding the weekend best bike :)
  • I hope so. I've just bought an Ultimate AL SLX 9.0 SL for the oncoming winter. It's lighter than my 2008 carbon bike, and better spec'd. Perfects overboard for a winter bike but it at least it's black.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use the Roubaix SL3 Pro Dura-Ace to commute too?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    supersonic wrote:
    Use the Roubaix SL3 Pro Dura-Ace to commute too?
    Substitute Expert for Pro and it works for me, but then most of my riding is the commute.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    I'm thinking of the Ultimate AL Slx myself but just getting the frame and forks and replacing my current do it all bike which is the Ribble 705 winter bike.

Then upgrade the wheels as and when funds allow.

The Canyone frame and forks are the same price as I paid for the entire Ribble and I'm wondering if I will notice a big difference in the ride?

As above I'm using it for my daily commuting and weekend rides. I cant afford a second bike at the moment so thought this might give me the best of both worlds?

Any thoughts welcome.
    Cheers