Rockshox XC30 Gold knocking

Ollie2805
Ollie2805 Posts: 17
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have a set of Rockshox XC30 Gold TK solo air tapered 120mm on my Boardman team 650b, and I am getting a knocking through the bars when going over repeated small bumps i.e. a grassy surface, almost like the head set is loose but it isn't. I have tried the rebound in all the different positions to make sure the fork is not topping out and it dosen't make any difference. Is this something these forks do as they are a budget fork or should I look for other problems?

Thanks

Ollie

Comments

• Mine do the same, a sort of 'clonking' sound.... :-/

(100mm straight -I think- on my Giant Talon)

What sets them off is riding quickly over choppy ground (dried out cattle hoof prints, for example) and it sounds just like the headset is (very) loose, but it isn't, and I've even tweaked the headset preload up a bit just in case, but it hasn't made any difference. I haven't really played with the damping, as they seem to work fine with it a couple of clicks off 'hare'.

They're definitely not bottoming out, and I'm pretty sure they're not topping out. All the bolts seem to be tight, & there's no play in the front wheel bearings.

As they actually work fine, and don't make any noise except as above, I've put it down to 'one of those things' (maybe some internal valve working??).

Interested if there is an explanation for it.
  • Yeah I tweeked the head set preload a bit too to make sure it wasn't that, and ive checked all bolts too and can't find anything wrong. So maybe it is just the fork.
  • NzBeaver
    NzBeaver Posts: 1
    I just bought a Kona with xc30 and they are doing the same I've taken it back to the shop for them to sort out. I'll let you know what they say.