Not all clipless pedals are created equal

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Just an observation - decided to have a go at clipless on the MTB having put some SPD pedals on my r**d bike too.

Bought M530 for the MTB and M520 for the other. Both have been ridden with clips just the once.

Despite having wound the tension back on both sets of pedals to their loosest setting, it is noticeably harder on the M530s to get the cleats in and out. I've tried this by hand, just slotting the shoe in and then twisting the heel outwards, and the difference is quite marked, so much so that I've swapped the M530s onto the thin wheeled bike, and put the M520s on the MTB (the opposite way I had planned) so that I can have a mild amount more confidence that, as a beginner, I'll be able to escape quicker in a more unexpected situation, which I reckon is more likely in a MTB scenario than a road one.

Anyone else found this difference? And any suggestions as to how I could try to slacken the M530s even more until I am really comfortable with them?

Cheers!

Matt
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• The platforms are useless anyway, just use 520s.

If they really are backed right back then there's nothing you can do. Warn cleats will do the trick.
  • It's the same mechanism on both. They should be identical apart from the (completely pointless) cage.
  • larkim
    Definitely different weights. Perhaps some use will bed them in. Found them fine tonight anyway.

Differing opinions on the M530s - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... dal-45093/ persuaded me they were worth a try as a beginner.
  • The platformed pedal is handy if you end up stopping on something quite techy for any reason. It's not always that easy to get you're foot straight into the cleat, and on rocky climbs or a tricky descent it can be difficult to get moving again with one foot scrabbling to clip in. The platform just gives you something to get a turn of the cranks in and keep you upright before shuffling your foot to find the cleat.

You'll get used to clipping out very quickly, and then the extra tension won't bother you at all. In fact, you'll start dialing the tension back up so you don't come un-clipped through rougher terrain.
  • larkim
    That's what I'm hoping. I'd actually invested in a set for son's bike too, but I think I need to do some coaxing for him - he came back from an area he knows well looking very glum at the weekend after riding that with the M530s and being left with a fear that he would end up crashing clipped in - he lost his bottle a bit. Fortunately I can swap him into the 520s which I know are softer (for whatever reason), so he will be having a second go with this. At worst it's cost me £30 of shoes for him, as I'll use the pedals on my bikes anyway.
  • I have the XT trail pedal with the cage and the M520. The cage does nothing to help clip in.
  • I have the XT trail pedal with the cage and the M520. The cage does nothing to help clip in.

If you're responding to my post, then I agree with you. Which is why I didn't say a cage does help you clip in.

What I did suggest was the platform gives you a larger area to get a couple of pedal strokes in BEFORE getting the cleat clipped into the pedal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's like having a normal flat pedal, and you definitely shouldn't try to ride for any length of time without being clipped in. But if it's a steep climb for example, and you don't find your cleat straight away, you'll probably stall because you can't pedal. You with me? It's easier to get those opening pedal strokes with a cage than without, giving you more time to get your foot clipped in.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The cage also helps if you have cheap shoes that arent as stiff as more expensive ones, as they stop them flexing too much.
  • YellaBelly wrote:
    I have the XT trail pedal with the cage and the M520. The cage does nothing to help clip in.

If you're responding to my post, then I agree with you. Which is why I didn't say a cage does help you clip in.

What I did suggest was the platform gives you a larger area to get a couple of pedal strokes in BEFORE getting the cleat clipped into the pedal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting it's like having a normal flat pedal, and you definitely shouldn't try to ride for any length of time without being clipped in. But if it's a steep climb for example, and you don't find your cleat straight away, you'll probably stall because you can't pedal. You with me? It's easier to get those opening pedal strokes with a cage than without, giving you more time to get your foot clipped in.

I agree with this^^^^ I have the xt version of these pedals on my hardtail and full suss! and the platform helps when u can't clip in straight away.
    Have u tried the multi directional release cleats, they are far better than the standard cleat.
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • I don't think it does at all. I don't have any trouble ever clipping in. But hey ho ymmv
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I find the platform helps hugely with being able to clip in again if I've had a foot off, especially if you're in the middle of something horribly tech.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5