29er cross tyres??

Jdon
Jdon Posts: 45
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi guys, did my first cross race this weekend on my 29er mtb with my 2.25 tyres on. obviously it isn't the weapon of choice but not sure i want to buy a cross bike until im sure its the direction i want to go in. Anyway what i wanted to ask is; can i buy cx style tyres for a 29er? and are there any other alterations i could make to help??
Cheers Guys :D:mrgreen:

Comments

• probably best bet is some XC race tyres, plenty in the 29er size.
  • Jdon
    is it possible to fit 700c tyres on 29er rims??
  • Jdon wrote:
    is it possible to fit 700c tyres on 29er rims??

should be yes. but to what end? since you can use XC race tyres such as Rocket Ron's and like which are broadly in the same weight but wider etc tyres which off road tends to be better.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    29er = 622 ERTO = 700c. What are you hoping to gain by fitting narrower tyres? You will gain a slight improvement in rolling resistance and weight reduction but to the detriment of grip in certain conditions. You could also save a chunk of weight by fitting rigid carbon forks in place of heavy, energy-sapping suspension forks.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Jdon
    yeah i suppose your right. I've put some 2" fast rollers on and seemed to help. I raced yesterday and realised my lock out is broken..... oops
  • Yep you can. I run 29er wheels on my disc CX bike (as loads of people do)- so you'll certainly get cx tyres to fit, but you'll have to ride it like a CX bike otherwise you'll be bottoming the rims out like no-ones business...