MTB World Downhill Championships

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Whilst we're all commuters here, it is of note that at this weekend's World Downhill Championships in Norway, Britain came 1st & 2nd in the Men and 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the Women. In Junior Men GBR took 2nd.

I have to say that is a thoroughly impressive performance and whilst we all sometimes gurn about nodders and the plethora of newbies coming to cycling, it also leads to results like this so long may it continue.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    It's also pretty exciting to watch, even if I spend most of the time thinking they're all insane.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Note that the Guy that came second came second with a broken ankle having overjumped the last jump and just freewheeled the rest of the course
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • veronese68
    See, I said they were insane.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    ddraver wrote:
    Note that the Guy that came second came second with a broken ankle having overjumped the last jump and just freewheeled the rest of the course

Josh - current 2014 Mountain Bike World Cup Downhill champion, so he just missed out on the double.
  • So... basically they're falling down a hill very fast on wheels?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ddraver
    Yup Great season for him nonetheless. Bit of a shame for Gee as it kind of devalues it a bit but I suppose it's a common theme for the World Champs DH
    - @ddraver
  • veronese68
    So... basically they're falling down a hill very fast on wheels?
    Pretty much. The skill is in controlling the fall sufficiently to avoid hitting trees and other obstacles and to keep the bike under you most of the time. Rather than just face planting at the first opportunity.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260

Are you related to Piña :lol:

I reckon anything done well looks easy and effortless, you've just got to look at the way that some of the professional roadies fly up the hills like they're on drugs or something.......oh hang on :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ddraver
    10672344_10152249043490303_6107800711252867186_n.jpg?oh=31a26d89c9c1af857478c992a5813c8d&oe=548FBC8E&__gda__=1418444696_2a1b96d73f603a7e039ca540a83e0a3f
    - @ddraver
  • He's posted a nice photo on his instagram account...
    http://instagram.com/p/sqNwTPmbDb/ :shock:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812

Definitely... Neko Mulally came 4th after he broke his chain within the first 50m of the course. No pedaling for him.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    it's all about the size of their balls and they are mahoosive I tell you.

Video here of the run he broke his foot on.

http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/hafjel ... e-run.html

Fast forward to 3-20 if you cant be bothered to watch it all but it's worth viewing in HD just to see how terrifying it is, just watch those trees rush past at high speed!

I was in Morzine in July doing as much as a middle aged office droid can to emulate the DH boys (and girls) and bumped into Manon Carpenter, 21 year old welsh lass who currently leads the female downhill scene

morzine_2014_24.jpg

That's me right there, the middle-aged bloke and she's err.. the girl in the middle...
    FCN = 4
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pretty much. The skill is in controlling the fall sufficiently to avoid hitting trees and other obstacles and to keep the bike under you most of the time. Rather than just face planting at the first opportunity.
    I'll give some real life feedback later this week. There may be some face plants involved :mrgreen:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]