Internal cable routing?

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Hi guys,

Recently had my bike stolen, so I'm just about to buy a new one. It has internal cable routing which is something I've never had before on a bike so its a bit of a foreign language to me. Can anyone tell me why internal routing is a good idea and are there any pros and cons? Is it easy enough to replace the cables if/when they need doing?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• I personally can't see any pros to it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pro: It looks neat.
    Con: It's a PITA.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    For gear cables it's a good idea - it keeps them out of harms way for a lot of their length. Against that is the hassle of re-threading them when you change cables, but that's not something you should do that often. Hydraulic hoses may be more of an issue, but you'll probably replace them even less often.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • So the only reason for doing it is for aesthetics?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Depends entirely how it's done. Most frames now are pretty user friendly, most having removable 'ports' to fish cables through. Back in the day it was a total nightmare when you were just aiming for a 2mm hole at each end of the down tube!
    So the only reason for doing it is for aesthetics?

No, it can be quieter (or noisier, depends on the frame), it keeps cables out of the way, can avoid convoluted cable runs (or introduce them), stops cables scratching the frame. It's also more aero, but that's a road thing.

It's not a deal breaker either way for me, I'd not worry too much.
  • Cheers njee20 - have to say its the only thing putting me off the bike, but the reason I've posted this is because I don't know if its just the fear of something new... The brakes are hydraulic but its only the gear cables that are internal. Gonna go for it, I'll find out in time how much of a pain they are!!
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I like the routing especially for dropper posts, looks so much better than having a. Big loop of cable hanging behind you every time you drop the post.
  • Mine has it. Cable change is very easy. Wasn't a buying factor by any means. Mine is a carbon frame and appears to have clear internal guides.
  • I've ordered the bike now, so I'll find out for myself in time. Excited now, can't wait!!
  • It's 'trick'! What more do you need. :)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607