Rear hub spacers?

Zaarg
Zaarg Posts: 29
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've ordered a 135mm Halo Spin Doctor pro rear hub and, like a dick, only thought to check the frame size after the part has been shipped. Looks like the distance between the dropouts is 142mm. Is there any way the hub is going to fit? I've seen conversion kits involving new axles. I can't tell if any of them will work. Anyone able to help?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sorry don't think you will be using that hub.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Zaarg
    Cheers. At least I know not to take it out the packaging so I can return it. Thanks for the help.
  • nicklouse
    If you want to check give Halo a ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You're not measuring without a wheel in are you?
  • Zaarg
    njee20 wrote:
    You're not measuring without a wheel in are you?

Yes. Is this wrong? Last time I built a bike up wheels were pretty much all standard sizes, so I'm not too clued up on what I'm doing. How should I be measuring it?

Cheers.
  • My old Giant Reign measured 140ish between drop outs and that took a 135 axle.
    They are often oversized with the wheel and axle out.
  • njee20
    What's the frame?
  • Zaarg
    Cheers guys, it's a 2006 iron horse yakuza ojiki. There's no way a 12mm axle would fit in the drop out now that I look. I'll post some photos...
  • njee20
    That far back it's unlikely it's anything other than 135mm.
  • nicklouse
    Zaarg wrote:
    Cheers guys, it's a 2006 iron horse yakuza ojiki. There's no way a 12mm axle would fit in the drop out now that I look. I'll post some photos...
    Mmmmm might be 135mm Bol through or son either variation.

Pics of drop outs would be good.
  • Zaarg
    Cheers guys. Resizing photos to fit size requirements.
  • Zaarg
    Drop out
  • Zaarg
    Don't know if this helps: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... kuza+Ojiki

Doesn't mention axle width.
  • Looks like a 135mm QR to me.
  • Zaarg
    Looks like a 135mm QR to me.

So the QR skewer would pull it together to fit when tightened sufficiently?
  • nicklouse
    Standard Qr fitting. But I think the original had nutted axels.
  • Zaarg
    nicklouse wrote:
    Standard Qr fitting. But I think the original had nutted axels.

Cheers. How does impact what I can run?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It doesn't, 10mm QR and 10mm nutter are interchangeable, as long as it's 135mm OLD.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Zaarg
    Cheers. So, due to the age of the frame, it is unlikely to be a 142mm spaced frame as they were not very common back then, and it is almost certainly a standard QR. So the 135mm qr I got should fit after all?
  • nicklouse
    Yep or you could also buy the nutted threaded axel kit that they do for it if you wanted.
  • Unless its 135x12