Marzocchi 4x with hope Mono M4 brake issues

matpolley
matpolley Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Everyone,
I've been out of riding for a while but decided to get back into it.
I have a DMR omen 4X bike and I also have some Hope mono M4's .The rear brake fits no problem as the frame is IS mount as are the brakes.
The front however is causing me a bit of a headache. The fork is Post mount and the brake is IS mount. I have ordered a Post to IS adapter http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product but this doesnt fit. After doing a bit of digging Ive found out that since 2008 the marzocchi post mount is somehow different? So before i buy every adapter under the sun and end up swearing at it a lot, I though I'd ask you guys advice. So if anybody knows what type of adapter I would need I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How does it not fit?
    And as your link is to many adaptor which did you buy?

And the fork is it PS 6" or PS8" or.....

Pics help
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The brake sits too far away from the rotor.
    Sorry about the link its a Post 160- is 160

Im sorry with the 6" or 8" what does that measurement mean and ill get a measurement to check..

Thank you (pics to follow)
  • nicklouse
    Sounds like you have a fork with an 8" post mount. Get a bigger disc.

Again more fork info neded.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 2hex378.jpg

dqrc7l.jpg

There we are.
    So looking at it i'm wondering whether I'd have to file/grind away the fork to allow a relief for the bottom IS mount as thats what looks like its holding it off. Its a 160mm rotor and I believe a 160mm caliper with a 160mm-160mm post to Is adapter
  • The fork is a marzocchi 4x rc3 which has 6" posts
  • nicklouse
    Looks like a 6" post mount. I would change the rotor and the adaptor and go 180mm.

What caliper number? 5?
  • its a caliper number 3.
  • nicklouse
    Ok the fun. Number 3 should be using a 180(185) disc for staters. The 5 mm is year dependent.

But with the zero change adaptor that will not fit the fork dud to the shape.

I would ( presuming you don't want to go 203mm on the disc) sell the caliper and get a PS mount one.
  • Oh.. nice. I have caliper number 3 on the rear though and thats on a 160mm disc and it fit perfectly.

If the fork didnt interfere with the bracket it looks like i could fit a 180mm rotor and it would line up about right?
    zj9bup.jpg
    If i was to remove that little bit INSIDE my marker pen lines (up to the black line NOT including it) the bracket would sit flush on the post mounts and run on 180mm rotors.

2rfucdl.jpg
  • nicklouse
    But a number 3 on a IS fork would need a 180(5) mm disc. PS6" is basically the same spacing as IS that is to say for a 160 disc you would need a number 5 hope caliper.

So if you can fit the adaptor to the fork with no issues and the caliper to that you just need a bigger disc.
  • Sorry mate I didnt explain myself very well in my previous post. What I meant was my plan is going up to 180mm rotors and making the bracket fit the fork via a bit of filing/die grinding.
    Thank you very much for your help mate, much appreciated