is anyone to blame here?

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited September 2014 in MTB general
hi all, ok so i bought my 2014 stumpy evo 26" wich is an awesome bike.it comes with the standard formula c1 brakes wich at first were ok abit spongy seemed to have to pump them a few times etc anyway i was reading the longtermers in mbr and one of the lads is testing same bike as mine but 29er and having big issues with the rear brake vibrating through the frame to the handlebars i sat there and thought thank god im not having that problem (JINX!) 2 weeks later im having that problem and its a real pain, sounds dreadful and proper ruining my rides i tried doing what the guy did in mbr with his tape the brake hose to the seat stay (no joy) took it to my lbs and they put a set of deores on mine off their demo bike to see if it was the brake OR mabey the swingarm itself .took it out not a sound no vibration so the problem is the brake (wich i thought it was all along) having googled this problem i see alot of people with stumpys with this brake having this problem, my lbs has been very sympathetic and is e mailing specialized regarding waranty but they are taking forever to respond so my lbs said they can do me a set of slxs all in fitted £130 wich i thought is a good deal so getting them fitted this week but their still gonna push spesh on the waranty theme so who is to blame here formula themselves for what seem to be a bad batch of brakes or specialized for getting this brake even though they had issues wth formula brakes back in 2012 i believe, its just frustrating shelling out 2.5k on a great bike and having this problem your views are welcome

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    To me it sounds like your initial issue was incorrectly aligned calipers.

You should not need to pump them.

When you pull the lever is the disc being moved?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    lbs checked them nicklouse and were fine
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I wouldn't be paying for other brakes, I'd want Spesh to sort that aspect out.
  • Is your LBS a branch of Evans?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • If replaced under warranty they only have to replace like for like. If you want something different, unless they agree to it you will have to pay for them though you should still get the Formula replacement to sell on.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    If replaced under warranty they only have to replace like for like. If you want something different, unless they agree to it you will have to pay for them though you should still get the Formula replacement to sell on.

They can sort out the like for like but if the like for like still has the same problem then they'd be obliged to sort a replacement of equal value to resolve the situation.
  • I blame wiggle, as always.

If you've paid for new slx brakes, wait for the replacement C1's to turn up and get them on the classifieds as new.