New 'Dry bike' - Sub £1500 shortlist

robbo8989
robbo8989 Posts: 42
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I think the time has come to retire my 2010 Allez to winter/wet weather duties so I'm looking for a brand new Sunday bike (I do realise it's coming up to winter but I just can't wait until summer!).

My current shortlist in current order of preference is:

Canyon Ultimate CF Sl 7.0 2015
Specialized Tarmac Sport 2015
Felt AR5 2014

Im looking for further suggestions of what else to add to the shortlist and any thoughts on my current list.

Some further info if it helps:
The bike will be my summer bike but I would still like to use it for a 28 mile round commute occasionally if weather permits. I really don't believe in keeping your best bike locked away for half of the year and I'd like to use it as much as possible.
My riding is mainly solo and I now live in a reasonably flat area so the aero AR is appealing (though I understand will probably not make much difference in the real world).
I'm a lightweight rider at 60 kg so perhaps I would feel the benefit of a lighter bike more so than heavier riders?
Looks are quite important.
Any underspend will go towards a set of deep section carbon wheels.

I appreciate any input!

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I personally really like the Felt AR series of bikes. They incorporate some really neat engineering solutions and you also have the option of flipping the seatpost around if you fancy doing the odd TT. It's also much more visually interesting to look at. The Canyon and Tarmac don't do anything for me personally.

I was all set to buy an 2015 AR5, but decided to build-up a Team Issue Foil with Di2 from (you guessed it) Westbrooks instead.

If you can, buy the 2015 AR5. It's got full 5800 105 (the 2014 has a FSA Omega crankset and only 5700 105) and it also comes with the 3T seatpost which incorporates a vibration reducing elastomer. It's a much better value package.
  • Rose? Seem to get mentioned in the same bracket as Canyon on this forum.

Cannondale Supersix at Evans? Had a few hundred quid off recently.
  • Rose? Seem to get mentioned in the same bracket as Canyon on this forum.

Cannondale Supersix at Evans? Had a few hundred quid off recently.

There are a lot of good bikes on offer at this price point, it might sound a bit simplistic but pick the one that makes you want to go out and ride it the most.
  • Given the bike show is in a couple of weeks, if it isn't too inconvenient it may be worth popping along to take a look at bikes there - a good chance to have a look and see any really catch your eye.

I was quite taken by the Rose CGF range when there.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • I'm in the same boat.
    I would like the Westbrook Foil deal but they don't have any 56cm frames at the moment.
    I'm loving the 2015 Tarmac sport in Orange, that's not available until November. I ride an Allez myself and am looking to "retire" that to be my commuter. I do love the bike though, and I rented a Tarmac on holiday and really noticed the extra stiffness and comfort of the frame. The geometry is exactly the same as my Allez to that's an easy choice for me.
    At the moment they're the two I'm keeping an eye on, so I'll watch this thread with interest.
  • stash36 wrote:
    I'm in the same boat.
    I would like the Westbrook Foil deal but they don't have any 56cm frames at the moment.
    I'm loving the 2015 Tarmac sport in Orange, that's not available until November. I ride an Allez myself and am looking to "retire" that to be my commuter. I do love the bike though, and I rented a Tarmac on holiday and really noticed the extra stiffness and comfort of the frame. The geometry is exactly the same as my Allez to that's an easy choice for me.
    At the moment they're the two I'm keeping an eye on, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Do you not think the Scott Foil geometry will be much more racy than the Allez/Tarmac?

I'd love to do the Foil with Di2 thing but haven't got the balls to build my own bike and I'm not sure if the geometry would suit me.

Also in the same boat(it's gonna sink at this rate!) as you guys and every time I think I've found the one, I look at the spec and there seems to be a serious compromise.
  • SoSimple wrote:
    Also in the same boat(it's gonna sink at this rate!) as you guys and every time I think I've found the one, I look at the spec and there seems to be a serious compromise.

Off the shelf will be compromise. Don't want that compromise - custom or self build is the way to go.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • The 2015 AR5 looks fantastic and I'd almost talked myself into it earlier but I just can't afford to go that high. It's also put me off the 2014 version as I know it would be a matter of time until seeing someone with the 2015 and regretting the decision!

I agree that the Tarmac looks great in orange and I also find it an attractive option coming from an Allez. However, I hadn't realised they weren't available until November.

Despite the fantastic value of the foil it's just not doing anything for me. The Supersix has been added to my shortlist but it's down the pecking order. I'm keen to hear from anyone with the Ultimate CF SL as it's the one I can't test ride.
  • Well unless anyone can convince me otherwise I'll be ordering the Canyon Ultimate CF 7.0 tomorrow! According to the Canyon sizing guide, at just over 5'8" and a 32" in seam I should opt for the small.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3589

Strangely enough, earlier today I noticed that every single model of the Ultimate CF range was priced at £1249. Even after adding the 9.0 Di2 to the basket and going to the checkout! Unfortunately my credit card hasn't arrived so I was unable to make the purchase but it would certainly have been interesting to see if Canyon would honour the incorrect price. I checked again after work and all had been corrected other than the 8.0 Athena version which was listed at £1249. They're all back to normal now though. Strange!
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Canyon have got previous for that. They didn't honour it last time and they won't this time either unfortunately.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Curto80 wrote:
    Canyon have got previous for that. They didn't honour it last time and they won't this time either unfortunately.

Of course they won't, you wouldn't seriously expect them to would you?
  • Depends how the system works... if it was a case of the automated order going through and them not realising until it's too late then maybe but with the volumes of orders they will take it won't work like that.

There seem to be a few of us aboard this ship. I'm also an Allez owner (2011) looking for my next 'best' bike. I'm liking the Canyon CF SL's but I'm a little disappointed that they have removed the Ritchie finishing kit from the 2015 models.
  • SoSimple wrote:
    Curto80 wrote:

Similar things have happened with other online retailers in the past. For example:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2089372/Marks--Spencer-Panasonic-50-inch-3D-TV-glitch-Petition-forces-M-S-honour-orders-199.html
  • The wrong price thing has popped up a few times over the years. AIUI the legal position is when agreement is made. Retailers use the position that computer acknowledging an order does nor constitute the deal having been agreed, and many will have sections in their terms & conditions to clarify those points.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    SoSimple wrote:
    Curto80 wrote:

Obviously not, which is why I said they wouldn't. :roll:
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Saw this last weekend, bargain I'd say.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1490 ... -2014-sale
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Well, my new Ultimate CF Sl 7.0 arrived on Friday! It was my first experience of using Canyon and I have to say I found them pretty good overall. The bike was in stock but they informed me straight away that there would be a delay as they were very busy. I was kept informed all the way through and it still only took two weeks from placing the order to receiving the bike.

I've only had chance to take it on a 20 minute spin round the block today but my first impression is that I may have messed up on the sizing (went for a small). My Allez is a medium but I always felt it was slightly too much of a stretch even with a shorter stem. The Canyon feels quite compact and the front wheel axis is well in front of the bars from my point of view when on the hoods. It may just be the fact I'm not used to it and a little more tweaking of the position is necessary (and possibly a new stem). I supplied the various measurements for the Canyon sizing calculator when I placed my order so I just thought I'd mention it might not be entirely trustworthy (or my measurements were wrong).

Apart from the sizing issues the bike is a fantastic upgrade from the Allez! I run the same tyres and pressures on both bikes and the Canyon just soaks up every little bump. It's considerably lighter and very easy to get up to speed. The brakes are also much better but is it normal for the rear end to squirm around quite so much under braking?

I have 105 on the Allez but compared to the new 5800 on the Canyon it's night and day. Shifting is smoother and quieter. Front shifting in particular is now a much more pleasant experience on the Canyon and the team function seems to work a lot better. The 52/36 chainset and 11-32 cassette provide me with a greater range of gears than I have on the Allez and that is a triple!

Finally, the bike looks fantastic! The pictures on Canyons website don't do it justice. I was originally planning on replacing the white bar tape and saddle to go with all black but now I've got the bike I'll be keeping things as they are. Pictures to follow soon in Your Road Bikes section.
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b