Hope Pro II Evo Hub: Strange Freehub Issue

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've recently noticed a few unusual things happening to my Hope Pro II Evo hub. I've had the wheelset for about 5 months, which have covered about 2000mi.

I've found that when I spin the pedals backwards when in a stand, the wheel begins to rotate in reverse, as can be seen at the beginning of the following video: http://youtu.be/e5_RShd0ojI

When the pedals are spun forwards, as it would normally drive, when the pedals are released, they continue to spin of their own accord, being turned by the wheel/hub. This can be seen here: http://youtu.be/1BnS9SdQm5w

From my research online, it's been suggested that the seal around the freehub body may not be clicked into place correctly, however I've ensured that this is pressed completely in using the ball-end of an allen key. I've also checked the freehub pawls and springs, which all seem to be returning to their usual position and pressing down as they should, and there still appears to be enough of the original grease in there (although it has turned from the original blue colour to black).

The only possibly abnormal thing I've found is that the freehub body seems to be a bit loose when attached as can be seen here: http://youtu.be/e5_RShd0ojI . It's minimal, but it pulls in and out a little, and when the cassette is on, if you shake the wheel you can hear it moving. It seems to stop moving once the QR skewer is done up though.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this please?!
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    All sounds normal to me.

But you might have the start of some gun king up freehub bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    All sounds normal to me.

But you might have the start of some gun king up freehub bearings.

Thanks Nick - I tried the same thing on my Dad's bike though, and when I back pedal the wheel stays stationary, and when I stop rotating the cranks, they stop. Surely this shouldn't be happening on mine?!
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • clean and regrease the pawls/ratchet in the freewheel and it will be fixed
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Thanks Nick - I tried the same thing on my Dad's bike though, and when I back pedal the wheel stays stationary, and when I stop rotating the cranks, they stop. Surely this shouldn't be happening on mine?!

Or you could argue that that shouldn't be happening to your dad's bike - maybe his cranks spin less freely than yours, so the friction there is greater than the friction in the freehub. :wink: Either way, Nick's right- perfectly normal.
    From my research online, it's been suggested that the seal around the freehub body may not be clicked into place correctly, however I've ensured that this is pressed completely in using the ball-end of an allen key. ...

If the seal is worn, it can get to the point where it won't "pop" into place - it just sits there.
    The only possibly abnormal thing I've found is that the freehub body seems to be a bit loose when attached as can be seen here: ... It seems to stop moving once the QR skewer is done up though.

To check , take the wheel off the bike and remove the skewer, cassette and drive-side end-cap. Now the only thing holding the freehub body in place is the seal - it's it's worn too much to hold properly (or isn't engaged with the hub shell properly) then the freehub will slide off the axle without any resistance. If it requires a sharp tug to remove it, then everything's ok.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    got a washer between the freehub and hub on the axel? i always forget to put it on and cause's things similar to yours
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • sounds like it has been completely degreased as i did on mine and was doing what your saying however if u grease it wil make the hub quieter :/