105 5700 gearing issues

Rivers_Nick
Rivers_Nick Posts: 15
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Had decided that my Boardman needs to be mostly 105 5700 Black spec (as it is a bargain at the mo). So thought i'd mix the work in with a few extra bits and a service at the same time, changed the following:

Shifters (105) and cables
Rear mech (105 black short cage - swapped over from 105 silver)
Front mech (105)
Cassette (Ultegra 6700 10sp 11-28 on to Mavic Aksium 10sp Shimano)
Chain (Ultegra 10sp)
The problems i'm having are as follows...

1) When fitting the cassette to the rear wheel, I used the spacer provided on its own, but when I came to tightening it, there seemed a lot of play in the cogs separated by the plastic shims unless the cassette was tightened to within an inch of its life, when i added the spacer that was originally on the previous cassette, it tightened them nicely, so at the moment, it has 2 spacers.

2) I swapped the Tiagra rear mech for the 105, straight swap out, fitted the shifters and cables, tried to index the gears and the rear mech won't drop into the smallest cog or the biggest cog?.. tried loosening the cable and fitting it again a little looser, tried the adjuster barrel, it just doesn't seem to even come close to dropping into the smallest cog. As for the biggest cog, it is the same, absolutely not interested in shifting into it.

Has fitting the extra spacer to the cassette pushed it over just that little bit too far for the mech to operate at its full capacity? If so, am I just to tighten the granny out of the cassette with just the one spacer? I'm not keen on tightening the cassette too much, as I've had to dremel a couple of cassettes off in the past and that can't be right.

I'm hoping not to have to walk shame-faced into LBS and admit defeat with a simple (on paper) upgrade...

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014
    Adding 2 spacers to your freehub will not cause any problems but over tightening the lockring (with 1 fitted) will. So thats not advised. And yes the cassette would have moved over slightly.

Sounds like you havent adjusted the high and low limit screws ? If you dont know what they are. There are loads of video's on youtube.

or plenty of tutorials like this
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Firstly, you only torque up the cassette to a max of 40neutron bombs.... thats a heave and a nip with the socket wrench.. but no way Mr Muscle time... you do have to get the thing off sometime in the future.

10 speed you are installing but do yo have an 11 speed freehub on? then yes you will need a couple of spacers to make 1.85 to 2mm to slot on before putting on the actual cassette.
    If a 10 speed freehub, then a single 1mm spacer should suffice... should ...
    You have to check the hi and lo screw settings after putting the derailleur on... like make sure the jockey wheels are in line with the 11 sprocket by using the hi limiter screw setting.. you can push the derailleur in by hand to set up the lo.
  • Ah, I see... shame-face on the internet is a lot more palatable. I didn't even think of the limit screws on the rear mech. Thanks for the quick reply and simple solution!!

Yep, I way over-tightened the lockring the last time i changed the cassette and learned that lesson straight away, tried just about every way to get it off before resorting to cutting it off with the dremel, wrecking the cassette in the progress.