First mountain bike purchase - Sram or Shimano?

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking into getting my first mountain bike soon and would appreciate a bit of advice regarding groupsets.
I like the look of these 2:
Boardman Team HT 750b http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2014#tab2

Cube Acid 750b http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1385 ... -bike-2014

So, one is Sram X7 and Elixir 3's, and the other is all Shimano.

I previously borrowed my sisters cube LTD race (shimano) and found it very good. No experience with Sram (be it road or mountain) so any help would be appreciated.

About the only thing I'm sure of is I like how the Boardman is a 2x10. When I borrowed the cube (which was a triple) I never used the 22t granny.

Any opinions on which of these is better or any other bikes to look at would be appreciated. Budget would (ideally) be £850 maximum.
Thanks

Comments

• I would say they are equally good. Go for the one which fits you best.
    I wouldn't choose a bike based on whether it has SRAM or Shimano transmission, I have a bike with each and like them both.
    You can get 10% off the Boardman by joining British Cycling.
  • Thanks mate :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To echo the above, choose the right bike that suites you (fit and riding) with the right parts, I wouldn't rule out a bike just based on who made the drivetrain parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Personally if it was 2 bikes that both fitted me and handled well and cost the same I would go for the Shimano equipped bike as Shimano lower range stuff is excellent and seems to last forever. Dont let that influence you though both will work as well straight from the box and it is only after several years and lots of miles use when the SRAM will be a collection of wobbly limp kit that the Shimano will show an advantage.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap