Flat shoes - who knows of a bargain

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Ok, so I've been using Shimano AM45's which were purchased with the idea of clipping in in the then near future, however, I never did. Using them with flats worked ok but not as good as the same shoe with the flat sole (AM41's) I'd say, and now the sole is starting to lose grip. They've lasted donkeys to be fair but I do need to replace them soon.

I was going to plump for the AM41's as, whilst they aren't beautiful, they are easy to clean, grippy and robust, but I've found some Teva Links at£ 34.95 and am now wondering; a: are Teva links grippy but can take a beating all year round? b: anyone found Am41's for under £50?

Thanks for your help, as always.
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got two pairs of Links. They are ace, hence me having two pairs.
  • Sportspursuit have currently got the charcoal grey Links in all sizes for £34.80. Can't go wrong with that!

Have to be a member to access the site but it's free to sign up. ( from another forum )

Or JE James have them, I got mine off them been great so far.
  • And what are they like as far as keeping mud and water out? And are they easy to clean?

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    They don't particularly keep mud and water out, mainly because of the hole where your foot goes in. Hi tops are better in this respect, but once they are wet they are wet. If it's heavy rain, I wear Sealskinz with them, but these are also let down by the hold where your foot goes in
    In terms of cleaning, if mud dries on I hit them against a wall.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    And what are they like as far as keeping mud and water out? And are they easy to clean?

If you're bothered about a little water, wear a wetsuit.

You're mountain biking off road, getting wet and muddy is part and parcel of the game. As Mcnulty says theres a fundamental flaw with the waterproofing design of shoes, the bit that your foot goes in.

My Shimano AM41s (I got the old and new style) are good, the newer style - plasticky outer rather than fabric is good at keeping the splashes away but won't keep you dry in a downpour.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • And what are they like as far as keeping mud and water out? And are they easy to clean?

Never really worried about keeping them clean, if the weather is bad as said before sealskins, every once in a while I chuck them in the washing machine with the rest of my gear.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    got mine caked a few weeks back, took the laces out, inner soles out rinsed them and used a brush, came up clean enough for the pub later that day
  • Nice one. Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't expect them to stay dry but the am41/45 do a good job. Can't find 41's cheap so at £35 the Teva's are worth a punt.

Thanks again.

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    the Tevas are good, maybe not as grippy as the AMs and definitely not as grippy as five tens but they are good enough and much better than a trainer or something

they're very comfy shoes however, and that's the one thing I miss about them when I changed to five tens

splash proof, not waterproof

the sole has lasted a whole year for me and is starting to get quite chewed up but they'd still work