Stem and handlebar

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I want to replace my stem and handle bar as I want the old ones for my wife's bike build.

I am pretty happy with my position on the bike, but never had a bike fit.

Can anyone advise on angles and stem length, and bar rise etc please, I would say I'm a trail rider.

I have put in a pic of my bike with current bar and stem, I am slowly upgrading little bits here and there to donate parts to the wifes bike.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g41 ... t2wb54.jpg

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bike fit is more of a roadie thing.

If you are happy now the dimensions should be printed on the current bar and stem, buy similar. The current trend is for shorter stems and wider bars, but you don't have to follow it.
  • I've had similar and can give you a rough estimate if you want a 'like for like' swap and can't find the info. Looks like 25 - 35 degree angle rise stem (I'd say 25), if you get a school protractor out you can gauge the rise reasonably well by eye. Length looks 70 - 80mm - but you can measure that by measuring centre of the handlebar clamp hole to the centre of the steerer clamp hole.

Check on one: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STOO3DF/on- ... orged-stem

Ritchey Comp: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritc ... -prod48087

Bontrager Race Lite's too.

Handlebar is harder to tell from that angle because it looks like you might have the angle of the bar off, and tilted 'upwards', so it looks deceptive maybe, but it looks like a regular Backsweep: 9º / Upsweep: 5º - Rise is even harder to tell from that pic, but looks around 20 - 25 degrees.

And don't forget to check the bar clamp diameter, it's either 25.4mm or 31.8mm - and that looks like the older 25.4mm
  • Brilliant Thanks guys.

Sausage roll its very old!!
  • I've had similar and can give you a rough estimate if you want a 'like for like' swap and can't find the info. Looks like 25 - 35 degree angle rise stem (I'd say 25), if you get a school protractor out you can gauge the rise reasonably well by eye. Length looks 70 - 80mm - but you can measure that by measuring centre of the handlebar clamp hole to the centre of the steerer clamp hole.

Check on one: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STOO3DF/on- ... orged-stem

Ritchey Comp: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ritc ... -prod48087

Bontrager Race Lite's too.

Handlebar is harder to tell from that angle because it looks like you might have the angle of the bar off, and tilted 'upwards', so it looks deceptive maybe, but it looks like a regular Backsweep: 9º / Upsweep: 5º - Rise is even harder to tell from that pic, but looks around 20 - 25 degrees.

And don't forget to check the bar clamp diameter, it's either 25.4mm or 31.8mm - and that looks like the older 25.4mm

Clamp diameter is irrelevant as he's replacing the stem and bar so he needs the new ones to match not to match the old. Also the rise is not in degrees its mm rise and I imagine the OP's bar is around 25mm (which I guess is where you get the degree figures you mention).

Bar width is another thing to consider - measure end to end of the bar - might be worth trying for something wider than you currently have and trimming it down if unhappy with the wider bars.

Raceface and Truvativ do some sensibly priced stems and bars and with a decent sweep to my way of thinking.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited September 2014
    Have a look at the photo Paul, it's quite a high rise stem, and most are quoted in degrees and not mm, that is more than 25mm.

Maths, feel free to join us in the Carrera Hardtail thread, link in my sig to that and to my Kraken.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Clamp diameter is irrelevant as he's replacing the stem and bar so he needs the new ones to match not to match the old.
    He said he wants to donate both to his wife's bike build. He also said he's slowly upgrading little bits here and there; he may or may not do both together. So the information is there whatever he chooses to do.
    Also the rise is not in degrees its mm rise and I imagine the OP's bar is around 25mm (which I guess is where you get the degree figures you mention).
    Yes. Well spotted. You can reinsert your finger back into your anus now.
  • Im replacing both at once, but yeah its going to bit by bit.

Thanks for your all your help - think im going to try the on one stem and a race face bar and see how they go.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Have a look at the photo Paul, it's quite a high rise stem, and most are quoted in degrees and not mm, that is more than 25mm.

Maths, feel free to join us in the Carrera Hardtail thread, link in my sig to that and to my Kraken.

I was talking about the bars not the stem. Yes that stem is a ridiculous high rise. And apparently I should not put my finger back in my anus.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • There's a spacer above the stem. You could get a lower rise stem and move the spacer below it.

I wouldn't necessarily donate that stem to your wifes bike though, it it very high rise and may not be suitable at all.