Do you like driving?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Drove an old Mini 1000 in today, it was brilliant. Well actually it was rubbish, bouncing all over the place, lots of strange noises, crappy lights and heavy steering. I was grinning like a loon and 30mph felt like 100.
    Maybe modern cars are too good and we should all drive old shitters. Not for long journeys though.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Maybe modern cars are too good and we should all drive old shitters. Not for long journeys though.

I do think modern cars are too bio-mechanically easy; i.e. it's so relaxing to sit there at 70-80mph in comfort and quiet, that you might forget you're hurling two tonnes of metal down the road, and one's attention might drift. Maybe if driving was much more physically demanding people would be forced to pay attention and maybe even slow down.

Obviously, this would only be applied to other people; I'd be exempt from any such ruling.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Drove an old Mini 1000 in today, it was brilliant. Well actually it was rubbish, bouncing all over the place, lots of strange noises, crappy lights and heavy steering. I was grinning like a loon and 30mph felt like 100.

Ah, owning an old mini would be the dream, garage with a big red tool box, a few books, an iPad for youtube tutorials and hours to waste away fixing/breaking and eventually fixing things.

Have started doing jobs on my Clio 182 which in turn has created more jobs :lol:
  • Driving? I don't know why but I have always loved driving. Even in my old 1.0 litre Fiesta which was my first car. I passed my test in a old mini too which was interesting since being so tall the gear stick was behind my knee and I had to fold up completely to get my legs under the steering wheel. But once in boy that car had guts for such a small car with small engine.

I used to be in the worst of moods on a weekend, completely down on the world and I would just get into the car and drive up to the Lakes. After about +3 hours driving round the Lakes and doing several hundred miles I was always in the best of moods that lasted at least until Wednesday. The tunes on the radio (tape and radio only) and a tank full to burn. that was back in the days of something like 0.65p per litre for petrol. heck I could fill the tank up for £30 and drive from Preston to Glenrothes and beyond then back on that much petrol money. Then rake in £300 in expenses from work!! Those were the good old days of driving when these hobbies could be afforded.

Now I love cycling and get a similar buzz from that. It is partly about freedom.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Took the Mini back to my parents having got it through an MOT then jumped into my Audi to drive home. I thought the Audi was broken. The pedals seemed too far away and I could barely feel the steering, clutch or brakes.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    davis wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I do think modern cars are too bio-mechanically easy; i.e. it's so relaxing to sit there at 70-80mph in comfort and quiet, that you might forget you're hurling two tonnes of metal down the road
    Very true indeed.
    Radar guided cruise control - Set your speed and your car will will do that speed unless you approach another vehicle from behind, when it will slow down and match that vehicle's speed. No need to accelerate or brake.
    Lane assist - The car will steer itself to stay within a lane. No need to steer.
    Climate control - Set the temperature you want and the aircon/heater will work to keep the temperature the same. Insulates the driver from the ambient temperature.
    Double glazing - Insulates the driver from the ambient sounds.
    Automatic wipers - No need to manually turn the wipers on when it rains.
    Heated seats - Still a little chilly? Turn the heated seats on for extra toastiness. Good for keeping takeaway food warm and reducing sperm counts.

Its no wonder people fall asleep behind the wheel.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!