Carrera Valour overhaul job.

renegadext88
renegadext88 Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, new to bike radar so hoping you guys can help me out.

I have a Carrera Valour MTB and I have worn it out. I've got the chain slipping. I'm unable to select the full range of gears, and my cables are pretty much shot (ie. sticking, hard to change gear).

So my bike is currently a death trap and I need to fix it within the next four days before I go back to work (I commute on it everyday).

I'm skint at the moment so don't really want to take it into a shop (plus the local Halfords experts are questionable). I'm getting the parts from Amazon and it's currently sitting at about £45 to fix. I am however unsure if I have the right cassette/freewheel? and I am also unsure if I need to replace the crank-set too.
This link is the cassette/freewheel.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... KJF5XDCZ5M
Is this right or have I got the wrong one?

Any advice is welcome and quick reply's would be great. I'm hoping to order everything today so I can fix it Monday or Tuesday

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether you have a freehub or a freewheel.

Read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Valours have 7spd Freewheels so that should be fine, the Clarks pro cable sets (coated inner plus outer) are £6 in Halfords at the moment, though if you're really trying to save money you could save money by just replacing the inner cables and giving the outers a good clean through, should one be a few pounds per cable then

Questionable Halfords Employee :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very cheap inner cables can be found at Wilkinsons supermarket, on my commuter they last about 2 years.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.