Never see any bags in pictures?

13»

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Biomech wrote:
    Bidon...? heh (looked it up)

Why do you cyclists call everything something else? Why is a water bottle a "bidon"? And why say "cadance" instead of RPM?

Anyway, I went out yesterday for a little one, (12 miles), I had a saddlebag arrive, but I though I'd see what the deal with the jersey pockets is - I was quite surprised actually, lots of room, didn't know I had anything in them and it was a lot more convenient diving into pockets instead of a bag. - that said, I only took my phone, keys, rain jacket and a Snickers bar. I don't think loading up with tools and pumps would be something that I would want

Wait till you get your first puncture 50 miles from home. Then you'll reassess.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Biomech wrote:

Why do you cyclists call everything something else? Why is a water bottle a "bidon"? And why say "cadance" instead of RPM?

*Cadence ;)

But RPM alone could refer to any number of the spinning parts of a bike; one must be specific.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Biomech wrote:

Cycling at the top end is a very international sport with lots of comunication between different nationalities. More so I think than most if not all other sports. Teams are composed of various nationalities (not unlike lots of other sports) but also, in a grand tour for example, you've got 200 riders from various nationalities of team spending several hours together on the road every day for 2 or 3 weeks. Therefore cycling has developed it's own lingo: Bidon, peleton, groupetto, etc. Since comentators are often ex-pros they use that lingo and it filters down to the hobby cyclist masses.
    Also a bidon is a bidon whereas a water bottle could be many different things and implies it contains water which it may not. A glass perrier bottle is a water bottle but it's not a bidon. You could call it a cycling drinks bottle but that's too many words! Personally, I usually just refer to them as bottles but it's not silly to have a specific name for them.

Cadence is not the same thing as RPM. Cadence is leg turnover. Runners use the term cadence as well but in their case it refers to steps per minute not revolutions per minute. It's not a case of being fancy or over-complicated. It's just using the correct word. Also, as above, RPM could refer to pedal RPM or wheel RPM, cadence is cadence.
    Biomech wrote:
    Anyway, I went out yesterday for a little one, (12 miles), I had a saddlebag arrive, but I though I'd see what the deal with the jersey pockets is - I was quite surprised actually, lots of room, didn't know I had anything in them and it was a lot more convenient diving into pockets instead of a bag. - that said, I only took my phone, keys, rain jacket and a Snickers bar. I don't think loading up with tools and pumps would be something that I would want
    Most people don't put stuff they'll use on the ride (i.e. clothes, food and maybe phone) in their saddle bag for exactly that reason - no point putting stuff where you can't reach it when you need it. It's about making life easier, not harder. The saddle bag is normally reserved for the stuff you want to have with you but won't need to access unless you're stopped.
    So, for example: I carry my phone, food and a windstopper in my pockets and my multitool, spare tube, patches, emergency money in the saddle bag and the pump on a bottle cage bracket.
    This gives the best of all worlds, unless that is you get upset about having a small bag attached to your bike.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    lotus49 wrote:
    Tool bidon and jersey. That is all.

Exactly my opinion.
    In case I need wore moisture I carry a throwaway bottle 0,5 L extra in the jersey, use it first and throw it away.
    Absolutely no need for saddlebags, which are a disease.
  • Some things I want to access while on the bike, so go in pockets: Sun glasses, food

Somethings don't fit very well in saddle bags: warmers/jacket

Some things I'll want in the cafe so go in pockets: Money/Phone

Other things I'll only ever want when I stop so go in the bag: Multi tool. chain links, patches, tube
  • ai_1
    Keezx wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

Exactly my opinion.
    In case I need wore moisture I carry a throwaway bottle 0,5 L extra in the jersey, use it first and throw it away.
    He he, you're silly :wink:
    Now we're talking about putting a bottle weighing more than half a kilo in jersey pockets, along with everything else, just to maintain the minimalist look. And it's still not a solution for most people. Do you only do short rides? What if you're out for 3 or 4 hours or more? Do you stop a couple of times to buy new bottles or do you just ration yourself to about 250ml per hour? My weekend long ride often consists of 3 or 4 hours in the mountains and depending on the route I take there may or may not be anywhere to buy water. I'll keep the use of my two bottle cages thanks.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

Exactly my opinion.
    He he, you're silly :wink:
    Now we're talking about putting a bottle weighing more than half a kilo in jersey pockets, along with everything else, just to maintain the minimalist look. And it's still not a solution for most people. Do you only do short rides? What if you're out for 3 or 4 hours or more? Do you stop a couple of times to buy new bottles or do you just ration yourself to about 250ml per hour? My weekend long ride often consists of 3 or 4 hours in the mountains and depending on the route I take there may or may not be anywhere to buy water. I'll keep the use of my two bottle cages thanks.

And I guess these minimalist riders never ride in mid-30s+ temperatures and need to keep rehydrated constantly.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Keezx wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

Exactly my opinion.

What if you can't find a bin to pull over and put it in? Or do you mean you throw it at the side of the road thinking that you're in the pro peleton?

I hadn't seen the Cav photo before this thread but now my 'reason' for using a saddlebag is because it's what the pro's do :lol: I also stand by my comment that it's the most aero and comfortable option, one I think most the pro peleton would use if they had to be self serviceable like us.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Did I also mention that a saddle bag would get in the way when I fit my cow bell for hill climbs?
  • I have a saddlebag and frame pump on my commuter but not on my best bike. God no.
  • You can tell the ones that don't cycle much. No-one's suggesting that you have to carry a saddlebag or an extra bottle on your armchair. ;)
  • The ones that really confuse me are the type that hang below the saddle and swing about - now they DO look sh * te.
  • iPete
    You can tell the ones that don't cycle much. No-one's suggesting that you have to carry a saddlebag or an extra bottle on your armchair. ;)

My evolution from saddle bag, to large saddle bag and onto back pockets is based on cycling 10,000 mile a year but don't let that get in the way ;)
  • ai_1
    I have a saddlebag and frame pump on my commuter but not on my best bike. God no.
    Ah, so there we have it.
    You clearly know it makes sense but you don't do it purely for reasons of vanity!
    ....or you don't wear a cycling jersey commuting and so can't avail of the magical pockets they provide!
    The ones that really confuse me are the type that hang below the saddle and swing about - now they DO look sh * te.
    Yeah, I agree with you there.
    I don't want to attach anything unstable to my bike besides myself. I want my saddlebag solidly attached. I use one with a saddle clip and a velcro seatpost strap so it never budges. I'm the ones with straps only can work fine if they're tightened up but lots of people seem to leave them hanging loose which would drive me nuts.
  • iPete
    Is vanity not a valid reason too?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    CSP5253_Wiggins_with_Kieran_Friend.jpg
    What's that bulge under Brad's seat?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    I have a saddlebag and frame pump on my commuter but not on my best bike. God no.
    Ah, so there we have it.
    You clearly know it makes sense but you don't do it purely for reasons of vanity!
    ....or you don't wear a cycling jersey commuting and so can't avail of the magical pockets they provide!

Yeah I wouldn't argue with you on either count there.
    To a certain extent cycling IS about the aesthetic. Isn't it?
  • larkim wrote:

Yeah but come on, have you seen the bloke behind him? He's just trying to fit in.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    larkim wrote:

Yeah but come on, have you seen the bloke behind him? He's just trying to fit in.

mmm , maybe a bit of timber.. however and a big however...
    never underestimate someone wearing Team Jewson MIRacing kit.. do so at your peril for getting your legs ripped off.
  • iPete wrote:
    You can tell the ones that don't cycle much. No-one's suggesting that you have to carry a saddlebag or an extra bottle on your armchair. ;)

My evolution from saddle bag, to large saddle bag and onto back pockets is based on cycling 10,000 mile a year but don't let that get in the way ;)

Only 10,000? Pathetic. ;)

But - and I generally use pockets myself - I'm more mocking those that don't do enough to need more than one bottle. Which I also don't understand as an aesthetic improvement - Why does a bottle/specially made container full of tools look better than a seatpost wedge?
  • Funny i read this thread the other day then watched "a year in yellow" and watched Brad head of with his saddle bag in place! I prefer the converted bottle in the cage and a couple of bits handy in pockets. At the end of the day does it really matter just get out and ride!