Coed y Brenin - best trails

dusk
dusk Posts: 583
edited September 2014 in Routes
I'm off to Coed y Brenin next weekend just for the day and want to get a decent ride in but I'm unsure of which trail to ride.

Last time I went I rode MBR and really enjoyed it, I've ridden Red Bull back in the day but can't really remember.

Any recommendations? I'm tempted by the Beast or possibly doing a couple of the shorter loops.
YT Wicked 160 ltd
Cotic BFe
DMR Trailstar
Canyon Roadlite

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just do beast, it has all the best bits rolled into one.

Do the shortcut and remove the wasted journey before mortisha and the other bits (basically rather than turning off keep heading straight up the road up the hill)
  • Me and My 9 year old went to Coed Y Brenin on Saturday we rode the Cyflym Coch red route which he rode really well and the Minator Blue which was really easy but great fun.

H e know keeps asking to do a Black route, how much harder are Coedy blacks than the reds and how do they differ ??

He has no fear, we both have only been riding for 9 months, I'm over 50 and have the fear for him, wouldn't want him to get hurt and be put off, so any advise would be very helpful.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Give MBR a try and see how he gets on, it's mainly fast flowing stuff, like Coch. Sections like false teeth have some drop offs but can easily be ridden over slowly without fuss or fast and get some air. Beginning of the end/seven sisters/black steps have some rock features but nothing too hairy.

Not done Tawr in ages as it was poor imo, again though fairly fast flowy stuff.

The only real difficult sections are on the Beast I think with Gomez/Mortisha/Pugsey, which have some steep-ish fast drops.
  • Briggo wrote:
    Give MBR a try and see how he gets on, it's mainly fast flowing stuff, like Coch. Sections like false teeth have some drop offs but can easily be ridden over slowly without fuss or fast and get some air. Beginning of the end/seven sisters/black steps have some rock features but nothing too hairy.

Not done Tawr in ages as it was poor imo, again though fairly fast flowy stuff.

The only real difficult sections are on the Beast I think with Gomez/Mortisha/Pugsey, which have some steep-ish fast drops.

Brilliant thanks for the advise, I'm really impressed with him, he can pick a good line and not a lot has fazed him, just don't want him to go a**e over t*t and hurt/put him self off.

Were going back up there the weekend of the 27th I have been talking him into doing the Dragons Back but I see that also includes Gomez/morthisha/pugsey , I suppose the best thing to do is get him to take his time and look before he leaps, he has been trying all week to teach me to jump stuff, I think I'm going to have to start and wear my mx body armour soon :oops: he bounces and I don't :shock:
  • dusk
    I ended up doing the Beast and missing out the loop before Morticia, it was a good ride but the road shortcut may have been short but wasn't easy!!

I didn't enjoy Pugsley (I think) with the sort of rock paved trail, I just find it a bit bone shaking with no real flow. I did really enjoy Hermon, fast and some great corners (I ended up getting a bit loose :) )
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • dusk wrote:
    I ended up doing the Beast and missing out the loop before Morticia, it was a good ride but the road shortcut may have been short but wasn't easy!!

I didn't enjoy Pugsley (I think) with the sort of rock paved trail, I just find it a bit bone shaking with no real flow. I did really enjoy Hermon, fast and some great corners (I ended up getting a bit loose :) )

Was the road piece steep ? were going back this Saturday and what you did on your ride was exactly what I had planned :D
  • I,m going this Saturday also as i need to get some practice in :P
  • buzzeroo wrote:
    I,m going this Saturday also as i need to get some practice in :P

If you see a old un on a Giant and a young un on a Whyte say hello, we will most prob be the ones holding you up :D
  • I'll keep an eye out, hope to see you there, I'm not sure what I'm riding yet, I'm trying to get one on Demo ?

I'll have a blue helmet on, my mate will be on a Fluro Bronson
  • dusk
    iwilldoit wrote:
    dusk wrote:

Was the road piece steep ? were going back this Saturday and what you did on your ride was exactly what I had planned :D
    yes, the first bit of road if you take the shortcut is very steep, I walked as I wasn't going to be riding any faster than that anyway!
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • buzzeroo wrote:
    I'll keep an eye out, hope to see you there, I'm not sure what I'm riding yet, I'm trying to get one on Demo ?

I'll have a blue helmet on, my mate will be on a Fluro Bronson

Did you go ?

We had a fantastic time on the Dragons Back bar for one heart stopping moment at the end of Lurch where my son clipped a rock on the edge of the trail then threw him down a 15' high bank onto the forest road, he was OK bit like a cat he finished up on his feet.
  • Yes Mate, i was there on both Sat & Sun, I didnt see you there or a bike fitting your description, Glad the little one is unscathed, the rocks on the Apex of the corners are obviously there for a purpose but i couldnt help think how dangerous they were and most if not all had scuffs on them.

Did the Minatour on Sat For a Warm up which i thought was great, My son would love that, then Nipped the BEAST off and lost the will the will to live, i fool heartedly missed out the short cut at the Cafe/house in the forestand did the long loop
    :roll:
    I am glad i did it now because i needed some mileage in my legs but at the time i wasnt a happy bunny.

Yesterday Sunday, weather was spectacular 8)
    The place was deserted though, the Car Park was nearly empty and the trails were deserted. Did the Blue again then had a brew, then went round the red Fox as i still wasnt warmed up THEN for some bizare reason because i couldnt make my mind up whether to do the MBR or The Dragons Back i did the Tarw Trail.

I rode it a long time ago on a GT Zaskar with elastomer forks, i thought it was great, fast forward about 20 Years and i would have gladly sawn my bike into little pieces yesterday afternoon as i kicked myself for even thinking that it was a good idea to ride the trail. Again i'm glad i did it as its all riding and its very different from the other side of the road some how i wished i was on a hard tail Retro bike as i think i would have enjoyed it more,

Had a Mechanical late on Sat before i started the BEAST and the Guy in the Bike Shop and his team was busy taking in Rental bikes and washing and servicing for Sunday but he offered the use of his tools and a friendly chat which i thought was helpfull.

A great weekend riding, just take LOTS of money if you intend buying anything from the Cafe which was deserted !
  • Know what you mean about the café, I know they have to make their money but I'm sure they would make more if they were sensible with the pricing, we are cheap skates and took a picnic.

My son is doing his first race there next Sunday, keep reminding him it's all for fun, I think he thinks he will have a sponsorship deal off the Athertons after it :)