Lighter bike or easier gearing?

diamondbacker
diamondbacker Posts: 224
edited September 2014 in MTB general
I'm due to do a 50 mile hilly route next weekend but my normal bike is out of action (2009 Rockrider 5.2 with schwalbe city jet tyres).

I have the option of using a 2014 Carrera Vulcan (which I could put the city jets on) or a red Triban 3 with a 28-11 cassette. I'm not sure which will be easiest to use to get up the hills. I'm not bothered about pace.

So what should I use - lighter bike or heavier bike with easier gearing?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as the gearing on the triban will go low enough for the hills in question, then the Vulcan won't have easier gearing!

What are the chainwheel sizes on the triban? The easier rolling will get you up hills geared a little higher than even the Vulcan on the SCJ's.

I'd be inclined to go with the Triban.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The triban rear cassette is a 28-11 and lowest front chain rings 30.

The Vulcan rear cassette is 32-11 and lowest front ring 22 I think.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it's on the road, take the road bike, forget the gearing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    That would have to be a pretty steep hill to be an issue for the 30/28, they exist, but aren't that common, so have a look at the route, but the Triban looks the best bet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Road bike. Gearing might not be as low but it's lighter with less rolling resistance and a more suitable riding position.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +another for road bike.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have a big road climb near me that I use to get to the start of the trails, but that I also use on the road bike.

30 chainring 40 biggest sprocket out back and I can spin up the hill in about 12 minutes, but look like death at the top of it.

34/32 is the easiest gear on the roadbike, but I tend to use a harder one and it takes 8 minutes or so and feels fine. Roadbike for road, every time
  • The Rookie
    Any climb being dispatched in that time isn't big!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    True.

Maybe steep would have described it better.
  • Thanks guys, think I have decided to take the road bike. I was leaning towards it anyway as it is all on road. The actual route is the Durham Beast if anyone knows it.