Wet/Loose tyre?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Getting a bit damp and soggy for the Rockrazor so need something else, looking to keep it on over autumn/winter.

Needs to be:
    - 2.35 - 2.40" - Light - Tubeless ready - Pacestar (or other brand equivalent)

Really like Schwalbe tyres, had a Big Betty was awesome through Spring/summer but it really lets go when its damp and loose so I don't really want one on the rear for autumn/winter.

Thinking the Hans Dampf, but what is the Nobby Nic like in wet/loose conditions?

According to the Schwalbe site, the grip in loose conditions is similar, but the Nic should be better in "soft" conditions, plus its lighter!

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Personally I found the Hans better, although they've updated the Nick so it may now be better... I'm going to continue running a Pacestar Hans through winter
  • I found Conti Rubber Queens in black chilli compound really good last winter. Might give Barons a try this winter as well.
    I also had Muddy Marys for downhill. Loads of grip, first winter I haven't used mud spikes. They are pretty slow rolling though.
    Dry, rocky trails destroy them. The side knobs tear off.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    It's only a 2.3 (but it's true to size) but I really like the Butcher Control. It's a brilliant all rounder and I swap between that and a Crossmark on the rear (most likely even worse than you Rock Razor) when I'm not using mud tyres and I'm using them less and less with 2 Butchers. They last brilliantly especially when you consider the compound is still fairly soft. The carcass is plenty tough and is tubeless ready.

I have to admit I'm starting to go off Baron's. They're pretty delicate, small and slow. The're great on the front but for the rear to work it has to be proper muddy or there is basically no braking grip and it can let go suddenly. I'm seriously considering just going for some pre cut spikes like the Hillbilly or Shorty instead. Only problem is they tend to only be available with a dual ply carcass although I've heard Maxxis is bringing out an EXO Shorty. If Continental made the Baron slightly bigger, sorted out the warping issues and strengthened up the side walls a bit I'd probably go back to loving the Baron since it is faster than spikes and is still ok on harder surfaces but as it is I can't see myself buying another pair.
  • hmm... I'm really tempted by the Nic.

This is just for general trail (natural and trail centre). The natural stuff around here is very soft and loamy over autumn/winter as it drains well but stays quite soft.

I've got my Minions to chuck on if I do an uplift day!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    hmm... I'm really tempted by the Nic.

This is just for general trail (natural and trail centre). The natural stuff around here is very soft and loamy over autumn/winter as it drains well but stays quite soft.

I've got my Minions to chuck on if I do an uplift day!

I've used the Nic's and whilst they were adequate in many situations, they really didn't work at Cannock. I moved onto a DHF/High Roller combo and this improved things somewhat, even if they were a tad draggy. I went back to the Nic's for the Wales C2C (lower rolling resistance) and understood why I stopped using them previously. Can't speak for the new NNs. but the old ones weren't best for UK conditions.

I'm now on Conti Rubber Queens (now Trail Kings) in Black Chilli flavour, and they are just a world apart. I'm thinking this will now be my go-to tyre option. Great improvement in grip and far less sketchy when leaning into corners. Confidence boosting.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • The rubber queens are damn heavy in 2.4 folding carcass though, looking at 1100g - minions are lighter than that!

The 2.3 Minion DH rear II in single ply 3c maxx terra EXO tubeless ready etc etc is claimed 775g, which is an option!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The rubber queens are damn heavy in 2.4 folding carcass though, looking at 1100g - minions are lighter than that!

Er, really?

My 2.2's are 680g, I doubt theres another 420g worth of rubber for that extra volume.
  • Pretty much what every website is saying...

Top Features of the Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 UST Folding Tubeless MTB Tyre

Colour: Black/Black Skin
    Size: 26 x 2.4
    Weight: 1050g
    Max Inflation: 58 psi
    Product Data

MTB: Yes
    Weight (g): 1050
    Tyre Bead: Folding
    Threads Per Inch: 330
    Use: Cross Country, Enduro
    Wheel Size: 26" (559)

Next day tyes shows the 2.2 folding at 950g
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    The 2.3 Minion DH rear II in single ply 3c maxx terra EXO tubeless ready etc etc is claimed 775g, which is an option!

I've been looking at those, apparently they work great front and rear...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Pretty much what every website is saying...

Well my 2.2 RQ's (folding Black chilli compound) certainly aint 950g or they'd be straight off.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Trail King, 2.4, ProTection + Apex, Black Chilli, 870gms

Mine are lighter than my Maxxis's.

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20rubberqueen.shtml

You're either looking at wire beads or 29ers, chap!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Ran Purgatory Controls last winter and found them great across a variety of conditions.