Hope Pro II Freehub - Which Grease?

iLukeKendall
iLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've recently found that my rear freehub is very sticky - when I back pedal, the wheel turns, and also when I roll my bike backwards, the pedals turned.

After looking online, it seems a loose seal could be the cause, however I've checked this this evening, and ensures it is fully seated using an allen key to press it into place.

The only thing I can now assume is causing this problem is that the freehub grease needs cleaning and refreshing. problem is, I don't know what's best to use, as there's so many conflicting opinions online.

Does anyone have an suggestions for grease that is readily available in the UK for this application? I'd rather not quieten the hub if possible.
Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Light machine oil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Pro II freehub's are far from drag free but the wheel turning backwards when back pedalling (assuming the wheel is off the ground) is totally normal from most hubs IME. If the bearings are nice and smooth then the slightest friction will cause the wheel to spin.

The pedals turning when the wheel is going backwards is totally normal, that's how freehubs work.

I use a small blob of Teflon Grease (Halford's stuff is pretty good) on the pawls and springs and then some Suspension Grease (Stendec is what I use as I've found it doesn't let water in as easily) around the inside of the seal. The Teflon Grease will work on the seal but I've found it doesn't create as good a seal against water. This is all after a thorough cleaning of the whole thing to remove all of the old grease and dirt etc.
  • Cheers guys. I've uploaded a video of what's happening - is this normal, or would it benefit from a re-grease do you think? Please excuse the poor video quality - I had to use an app to rotate the video which lowered the quality!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xqoefgv2np7zy ... 9.mov?dl=0

In the video, I'm back-pedalling at first which results in the wheel rotating backwards. I then pedal forwards as normal which changes the direction of rotation, but when I let go the pedals continue to spin of their own accord momentarily.
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Light machine oil.

Is a heavier grease not worth using?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:
    Light machine oil.

Is a heavier grease not worth using?

Yes no may be.

Watch the hub service vid on Hopes web page.

They mention the make and type of grease they use. And most of it goes on the pivots and the spring housings.
    What goes on the ratchet ring is mainly wiped off. As if there is too much the teeth will not drop in and hold.

And in the owners manuals of old they stated light machines oil and a regular service time (which no one bothered with).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown