stem size and bad back

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
may not be related but could it be a cause ?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Unlikely to be solely related to stem size, more to do with your overall fit on the bike (bars and saddle together with your physiology).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • may not be related but could it be a cause ?
    Could be stem angle. Flip it and it raises bars and brings them a bit closer. It didn't look as if it would make much difference, but made my road bike much more comfortable, albeit a bit less aero.
  • drlodge wrote:
    Unlikely to be solely related to stem size, more to do with your overall fit on the bike (bars and saddle together with your physiology).

This.

Don't look at these elements in isolation. It is the overall measurement that counts. You should buy a frame that allows you to use a fairly regular stem and seatpost - a bit like buying trousers the right size and a belt that's about right on the middle hole - rather than relying on stem length and/or seatpost layback to compensate. If you don't want to be stretched out, don't buy a bike designed for that position.

In general however, flipping and/or raising the stem, changing it for one that offers a more favourable angle and/or a slightly shorter length can help, and possibly adjusting the saddle to take weight off your upper body might help, but if you are suffering from back pain, consult with a qualified professional.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Unlike the common opinion I don't think raising the bars and shortening the stem is always good for the back.
    1-Load on the back rises a your'e sitting more right-up.
    2-The pelvis will be flipped more backwards so more power can be retracted from the back muscles
    A stretched position decreases this.
    In my late 30's I quit racing and one of the reasons was increasing lower back pain during races.
    For > 20 years I haven't cycled much and I returned In my late 50's with a bycycl that which gave coincidentally me a more stretched postion than in the early days.
    Haven't had any back pain any more in almost 5 years now ( stll racing at 61...)