Seatpost lubrication

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I am fitting a new alloy seatpost to an alloy frame and just wondered what is the best type of lubrication/grease to use? I have some copper grease in the garage, will that be suitable or do I need something else?
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I am fitting a new alloy seatpost to an alloy frame and just wondered what is the best type of lubrication/grease to use? I have some copper grease in the garage, will that be suitable or do I need something else?
    Why would you lubricate a joint that you don't want to slip?
    I hope you mean assembly paste?

The whole point of lubricant is to reduce friction between parts. A seatpost clamp is designed to hold the post in position in the seat tube using friction.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It has long been conventional advice to grease an alloy seatpost going into an alloy / steel / Ti frame in order to prevent corrosion bonding it in there permanently. 99% of the time it doesn't cause an issue with the seatpost slipping.

I just use a big old pot of automotive grease I've had for years; whip the seatpost out every 6 months or so for a wipe down and a fresh, thin coat of grease.

Alloy post in a carbon frame or the reverse (I have both) and I use carbon assembly paste instead. Still take it out for a wipe clean and reapply a couple of times a year.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    Why would you lubricate a joint that you don't want to slip?
    I hope you mean assembly paste?

Ok I will rephrase it just for you.

What grease is best to use on an alloy seatpost in an alloy frame?

The sole reason I mentioned copper grease was that it's anti seize, in my untrained mind that seems perfect for the job of stopping the seatpost and frame welding together. I used no grease at all when I installed the original seatpost and when I took it out last week, it was stuck fast and took brute force to get it out the frame.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I use a light smear of standard auto grease for alloy to alloy frame or as mentioned above carbon paste for a carbon frame.
  • I've also remembered that I have some Park Tool Polylube 1000 Grease PPL1 in the garage too. That is bike specific whereas the copper grease has more uses on a car. I think I will go with the Park stuff, that should do the job.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I've used silicon grease for underwater camera 'O' rings in the past on the bike and it did a sound job until the dog nicked the tube of grease and destroyed it. :shock:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I tend to use copperslip on threads that generally stay done up but that one day I might want to undo in spite of exposure to the elements: pedals, bottom brackets, mudguard and rack fixings, brake caliper mounting bolts etc. It's a bit too messy for seatposts I find; a little bit of excess seems to end up everywhere...
  • If you have copper grease use it....I tend to use it on everything that is not a bearing that I dont want to corrode together. It should be up there with WD40 and Duck Tape :)
  • I use copper grease on pedal spindles. Slather it on with a cotton bud so it gets into all the threads and Bobs your mothers brother.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Using copper grease/anti-seize for an alloy seatpost into an alloy frame is what I used to do when I had one. Always seemed to work fine.
  • I have always used copper grease for alloy post in steel or aluminium frames, never had one seized.
  • Copper grease it is then, cheers fellas :)