Giovanni Pinarello

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,157
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Giovanni Pinarello, founder of Pinarello, has died aged 92.

Of the last fourteen men to win the Tour de France, seven rode his bikes.

He was also was the Maglia Nera at the 1951 Giro (Lanterne Rouge equivalent)

Giovanni-Pinarello.jpg

Giovanni-Pinarello-maglia-nera-Giro-d-Italia-1951.jpg
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• RIP.

The 'race' to be Maglie Nera was a very strongly fought competition.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Grazie signor Giovanni per rinvigorire il mio amore per il ciclismo, ma dovrete perdonarmi per l'acquisto di una Wilier e Colnago.
    Vorrei che anche tu avessi messo Campagnolo sulle vostre biciclette, piuttosto che quella merda giapponese.

Pace.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RichN95 wrote:

Of the last fourteen men to win the Tour de France, seven rode his bikes

Don't talk such bobbins ... It would be 3 at a push if you count Pereiro.

I'm all for sporting romanticism when it comes to cycling but a world where Pantani, Ullrich and Riis are included in historical statistics at the expense of LA is just nonsense. I don't have a solution for these things, but I know that you can't quote stats given the situation.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    type:epyt wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Of the last fourteen men to win the Tour de France, seven rode his bikes

Don't talk such bobbins ... It would be 3 at a push if you count Pereiro.

I'm all for sporting romanticism when it comes to cycling but a world where Pantani, Ullrich and Riis are included in historical statistics at the expense of LA is just nonsense. I don't have a solution for these things, but I know that you can't quote stats given the situation.
    Ok. Count Armstrong if you want. It's seven from fifteen then. Now stop being a bellend. This thread is about a great bike maker - nothing more
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Grazie signor Giovanni per rinvigorire il mio amore per il ciclismo, ma dovrete perdonarmi per l'acquisto di una Wilier e Colnago.
    Vorrei che anche tu avessi messo Campagnolo sulle vostre biciclette, piuttosto che quella merda giapponese.

Pace.

Bravo, e da quand'e' che parli italiano?
    left the forum March 2023
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Il mio inglese è migliore del mio francese, che è migliore del mio spagnolo che è molto meglio del mio italiano, ma non è buono come l'impianto on-line traduci!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Il mio inglese è migliore del mio francese, che è migliore del mio spagnolo che è molto meglio del mio italiano, ma non è buono come l'impianto on-line traduci!

My Italian is good enough to understand that. Made me chuckle.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Once built up a Pinarello with C Record for a friend, it was the same frame Delgado was riding c.88-89 with chrome forks and stays and that lovely deep burnt orangey red paint - a Montello I think. Gorgeous bike.

Always liked seeing pensioners shopping in Treviso on sit up and beg Pinas with chrome forks and lugs. The old man was still working in the shop the last time I went there (2003 or 4?), he asked if I saw anything I liked and I very nearly asked what I could have in exchange for my children...shamefully my Italian not good enough to articulate this (joke).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    cn-giro-pin_espada_05.jpg
  • cn-giro-pin_espada_05.jpg

Anyone know what the gearing on that is? :shock:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    Pinarello built some truly beautiful machines, but that Espada is one of the fugliest monstrosities ever. And Indurain's road frames were built by Pegoretti as everyone knows. How many TdF wins are we down to now? :wink:
    RIP Mr P.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>