Ribble bike builder

dombhoy
dombhoy Posts: 147
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I have pretty much decided on a ribble for a number of reasons and was wondering what frame and spec people would reccomend that is available for around £1000 can maybe go a bit higher if its worth it.... At the moment the main contenders are the gran fondo with veloce, the new sportive with veloce and the 7046 curved alu with veloce has anyone else got any suggestions of bikes or advice as to what bike is best.

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Quick tip; for some bizarre reason the exact same spec will be a little bit cheaper using the Special Edition bikes tab on their website, maybe £25-50. Ribble have confirmed to me that all the parts come from the same stock.

The one drawback to this is that the selection of components is limited over what's available via the Bikebuilder tab. You should be fine if you're thinking about Deda finishing kit.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • By chance could you tell me the reasons for choosing Ribble over maybe someone like Rose? Kind of in the same boat as you at the moment.
    Have to say that i really would not go for any Ribble apart from the R872 which after extensive research (seriously extensive like you would not believe!) is the Ribble to go for.
  • pj101
    pj101 Posts: 31
    I'm not bothered why you want a Ribble, so if you want one buy one. One thing I noticed though when comparing the bike builder to the special edition ones is the lack of wheel choice available on the special editions. My choice would be to use the bike builder and up the budget a bit from £1000 (say £1200-£1300) and put some semi decent wheels on.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    pj101 wrote:
    My choice would be to use the bike builder and up the budget a bit from £1000 (say £1200-£1300) and put some semi decent wheels on.

Or get a set of cheap wheels from Ribble to use as winter wheels, and supplement them with a £300 pair of hand builts for better weather.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    Yeah i will look at getting better wheels but considering winter is coming up i was thinking of saving the money and buying better wheels in spring. I am purely choosing ribble because it needs to be available on the cycle scheme if not i would certainly be looking at rose