Cervelo R3, R3 dark or Canyon Endurace?

Nesfyl
Nesfyl Posts: 24
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I know the title is a little misleading, but I am between three minds on my next bike purchase. I've been riding a Canyon Ultimate AL for the last year or so, which has been superb, save for my miscalculation of size. I now want to move to a new bike and have done extensive research mostly based on geometry and desired fit after spending a year fine-tuning my position. The Cervelos R series are a very good match to my body proportions (I am tall with long legs), but so is the new Canyon Endurace (they share a remarkable similar geometry). So the options are:

New Cervelo R3: Sold by the local LBS for €3.2k (that's around 2,550 GBP).
Pros: Great frame, groupset (Ultegra 6800, even though I dislike the Rotor cranks), great ride & fit (have tested it - not extensively), upgradeable (internal routing, electronic groupsets etc.), lifetime warranty and a local LBS to deal with, bling/pride.
Cons: Crap wheels, expensive

Cervelo r3 dark 2014: They only have one left in my size (58) and they offer it for €2.8k (2,230 GBP)
Cons: Great frame, groupset (Force 22, again I dislike the cranks), great ride & fir (tested it), lifetime warranty, local LBS, bling/pride.
Cons: Crap wheels, not upgradeable, external routing, expensive (but cheaper than the R3 of course)

Canyon Endurace: The Ultegra version, around €2k (with p&p) - around 1,600 GBP
Pros: Good frame, even though I have not read any reviews because there aren't any yet. Nice wheels (DT Swiss - much better than the Fulcrum 5.5 on the others), groupset, seatpost (the VCLS 2 is supposedly cool), upgradeability (all internal etc.), price of course, ride & fit (have tested in Germany but only briefly in their car park and with normal shoes on, less stiff than the Cervelo for sure, but more plush)
Cons: Probably less stellar frame than the Cervelos, no LBS to deal with, less appealing looks.

Please let me know of your thoughts!

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'd be surprised if there was a big difference on frame stiffness between the two given the Endurace is based on the Ultimate CF SL which is a very stiff frame. However, you may want to consider if the VCLS 2.0 seatpost belongs as a pro or a con. It may depend somewhat on your weight!
    I got a VCLS 2.0 post on my Ultimate CF SL but although it was extremely comfortable, it slipped repeatedly despite careful installation. On contactign Canyon they told me this was a known problem for riders over 80kg and they offered to switch it for the default VCLS 1.0 (default for the Ultimate CF SL 9.0 NOT default on Endurace models which get VCLS 2.0). I don't know I they've made any changes to ensure this issue doesn't cause problems for Endurace riders but it would be worth asking. If they've resolved it then the post should definitely be a pro - I loved it while it stayed put!
    My head would go for the Canyon, although the Cervelo is prettier!

P.S. I also considered both the R3 and S3 when shopping for my current bike but couldn't justify spending the extra €1k+ over the Canyon.
  • If you could squeeze onto a 56cm, the R3 Dark is maginally cheaper here:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;s ... duct=64632

You're probably all over this but you did know this is supposed to be a 2013 R5 frame and 2013 R3 fork?
  • Yeap, I know that bike is cheaper over there, but I certainly cannot squeeze on a 56. I am 1.92m with 93.5cm of inside leg. There would be no seatpost left for starters. And I am aware that it's a 2013 R5 frame. Now, does this make it better than the 2014/5 R3 frame? What about futureproofing? I fear I might miss a bargain if I don't snatch that R3 dark, but I don't want to rush into a kneejerk decision. That Canyon is terrific value, it's just that the Cervelos have that little something...
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I have the R3 Dark Edition. Like you I considered other brands with with higher spec but in the end fell for the Cervelo marketing. The bike rides really well, sitting between my other bikes Giant TCR Advanced and Defy Advanced, in the comfort stakes.
    I just had to see how good the Cervelo frame performed as two of my mountain goat friends rave about their R3 and R5. The Dark seemed to tick all the boxes.. except for the wheels.
    I pulled the plug on the Canyon after reading of some of the problems relating to the seat tubes.
    One thing I must say is Giant, have in my opinion, the best engineered bikes on the market.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Mr Dog wrote:
    ...I pulled the plug on the Canyon after reading of some of the problems relating to the seat tubes...
    That's understandable although that issue does appear to be confined to the Ultimate CF SLX frames. The Ultimate CF SL models seem to be fine and I believe the Endurace is essentially an "endurance geometry" version of the later. It's not a high modulus frame like the SLX.