SRAM Red. New chain jumps under load. New cassette?

derdmann
derdmann Posts: 4
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hello community,
Because my chain was quite worn down I just replaced it with a brand new one. I went out for a ride today and experienced the chain jumping or rather skipping under heavier load. I tried a couple of gears and my 'favourite' gear was the worst. (5th cog wheel, going down from the large one to the small one)
I attached an image of my cassette and I was wondering if you guys think that could be the reason.
Thanks for your help!

A pic of the cassette.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6LLdPdl-JCNUVpBUEQtSGJINnM/edit?usp=sharing
Cheers!
D

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014
    Its common for this to happen. Your old chain and cassette will have meshed and worn together over long use. It is normal to have to replace both at the same. Some people replace the chain after so many miles (e.g 1000) by using 'chain stretch'' tool to check the wear but with this you are still playing a game of dice. I personally just run both into the ground and replace together.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yes, your favourite ring looks pretty worn. New cassette time. Although I would replace with a SRAM PG1070 cassette because the shifting will be much more crisp than you had with with the Red cassette. It will also be a lot quieter.
  • Really? the force cassette? Crisper and quieter? how does that come?
    And does it work the new chain? (1091R chain)
    What's the downside of the PG1070 compared to the XG1090 then?

Thanks!
    D
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014
    Your new 1091R chain will work on any 10 speed cassette. It is also cross compatible and will work with any 10 speed mountain bike cassette.

The old red 10 speed cassette was reported to be noisy. Sram have since redesigned the red cassette so now it is machined from 1 solid piece (called the XG1090). a 10 speed version might be harder to find as the groupset is now 11 speed (called red 22).

The downside of the PG1070 compared to the XG1090 is that it will be around 75 grams heavier. There will be very little difference in shift performance.

The upside is it will be alot cheaper.
  • Sold :) 1070 it is
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    derdmann wrote:
    Really? the force cassette? Crisper and quieter? how does that come?
    And does it work the new chain? (1091R chain)
    What's the downside of the PG1070 compared to the XG1090 then?

Thanks!
    D

Yes, really. The old sram red cassette is a clattery noisy thing that in my experience shifts worse than the force cassettes. The only thing in its favour is the weight.