No the world has ended.

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited September 2014 in The Crudcatcher
EBay is down.......
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I did wonder why I couldn't get on the app, thought it was my end, can see a few complaints from sellers though
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    damm - where can I buy overpriced tat from?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Quite genuinely annoying - I have stuff finishing in about an hour that has been attracting crazy bidding for days, but no bids at all since the outage started.
    We are selling donations to fund a youth trip to Africa (genuine diy 3rd world visit, not packaged compassion tourism) and the potential loss of revenue is a bit galling, to say the least.
  • nicklouse
    Just got back on. And paid for something that I bought just before the problems started.

Phew..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Facebook went down last night too. Maybe the world is starting to end!
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    in a FB free post apocolyptical world i may be happy. causes nothing but grief imo
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • gazeddy wrote:
    in a FB free post apocolyptical world i may be happy. causes nothing but grief imo

That's a good status update
  • I was bidding on an fairly new model orange P7 frame with a carbon fork and deore cranks + pedals on it. JUST about to bid £42 on it and i get logged out and couldnt get back on. Ended up losing the bid by a pound less than the bid i was just about to put. Fuuuuuuuming at that. Injustice! I should be a P7 owner!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I was bidding on an fairly new model orange P7 frame with a carbon fork and deore cranks + pedals on it. JUST about to bid £42 on it and i get logged out and couldnt get back on. Ended up losing the bid by a pound less than the bid i was just about to put. Fuuuuuuuming at that. Injustice! I should be a P7 owner!

Well no, you'd only have won if the winning bidder reached their max, which considering there was only a pound in it is very unlikely.
  • nicklouse
    I was bidding on an fairly new model orange P7 frame with a carbon fork and deore cranks + pedals on it. JUST about to bid £42 on it and i get logged out and couldnt get back on. Ended up losing the bid by a pound less than the bid i was just about to put. Fuuuuuuuming at that. Injustice! I should be a P7 owner!
    You were lucky.
  • Njee20, maybe he did set an autobid. Didnt think of that, but still.

Nicklouse, the p7 is supposed to be one of the great hardtail frames isnt it? From what i know. (Was 2006 model)
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Njee20, maybe he did set an autobid. Didnt think of that, but still.

Nicklouse, the p7 is supposed to be one of the great hardtail frames isnt it? From what i know. (Was 2006 model)

i had one of those, it was super webtex. seriously.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'm left wondering... what is the average increase in bid level in the last 6 hours of an ebay auction? Because none of our items got any bids at all during that time... we made £125 (less ebay's cut, of course) as it was, which is great, but it does leave me wondering how much more we might have got.
    Ebay put out an email offering to waive posting fees: well I'm glad of that, that's saved us... oh hang on... of course I put them up with free postings, didn't I, because who's stupid enough to pay the ridiculous costs for the extras? They did say that auctions could be restarted, probably calculating that most sellers would, like me, decide not to bother with all the hassle.
    Starting to wonder which competitors might be worth switching to...
  • njee20
    Njee20, maybe he did set an autobid. Didnt think of that, but still

Nothing to do with auto bidding. It's just how eBay works. There are three people in this - you, winning bidder, second highest bidder:

Item starts at £50
    Bidder A bids £100 (item is at £50)
    Bidder B bids £150 (item goes to £101 - ie exceeds bidder A's max)
    The item will now sell for £101, unless you come along and bid more. Unless you bid more than £151 you will not win. You will be instantly outbid up to Bidder B's max.

Therefore in this instance unless bidder A had put a max of £40 and bidder B had put a max of £41, you would not have won it
  • njee20 wrote:
    Njee20, maybe he did set an autobid. Didnt think of that, but still

Nothing to do with auto bidding. It's just how eBay works. There are three people in this - you, winning bidder, second highest bidder:

Item starts at £50
    Bidder A bids £100 (item is at £50)
    Bidder B bids £150 (item goes to £101 - ie exceeds bidder A's max)
    The item will now sell for £101, unless you come along and bid more. Unless you bid more than £151 you will not win. You will be instantly outbid up to Bidder B's max.

Therefore in this instance unless bidder A had put a max of £40 and bidder B had put a max of £41, you would not have won it

I think that's what he meant by autobid.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    But that's not a thing, it's how eBay works.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    It used to be?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    In that case it autobids up to your preset maximum automatically and always has. Ebay will out bid other lesser bids until a new high bidder turns up, its always worked that way. Some people use sniping software which bids just as an auction is closing so if a human is upping his bid manually he will get outbid. However, if there bid is higher than the sniping attempt they will still win and the sniper will lose. So if you want something bid what you are prepared to pay up to and don't whine if you are outbid by £1 because the other person's top bid could be £50 more than yours, you will never know.
    Sniping sometimes works because other people don't get how Ebay works.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    What do you mean "super webtex"

?

It means they are webbo. Missing out on one is excellent luck. You should be pleased.
  • Njee, thats sort of what i meant. I have only bidded on like 2-3 items on eBay in my life so i am not 100% familiar. I get what you mean now. So even if i bid £150 on something currently at £100, it wont write down £150, it will just go a quid over.

The only way ive won an item in an eBay bid is by putting a bid in (say £25) then i set it to autobid to a set amount (say £40). Then i come back to eBay and see that i have won the item.

Sheepsteeth, i dont know what webbo is either but i can see what you are saying. But still, a P7 with deore cranks + headset + carbon forks for just over £40 is still pretty good.
  • njee20
    So even if i bid £150 on something currently at £100, it wont write down £150, it will just go a quid over.

It will go up to whatever the other person has bid. If the other person has bid £100, then yes, it'll go to £101. If they've bid £120 it'll go to £121, if they've bid £160 (or £5000), it'll go to £151 and you'll instantly get a notice that you've been outbid.

Webbo/super webtex = shit. The clues are there! Not gonna go wrong for £40, but I'd not dwell on that - every chance there are 20 other people out there annoyed they didn't get the P7 frame as they were about to bid when eBay went down...
  • Id be sort of stuck with it really anyway if i won it. I have 4 bikes. Every one not getting any riding. Including the commuter as i now go somewhere a bit too far to commute :(

I think i may just get rid of all but 2 and get myself another Chucker/Chucker frame when one pops up near me on eBay.
  • njee20
    Including the commuter as i now go somewhere a bit too far to commute

MTFU. How far?
    I think i may just get rid of all but 2 and get myself another Chucker/Chucker frame when one pops up near me on eBay.

They're even more Webbo than the Orange. If you're not riding any of your bikes why not get rid of all of them, get one nice one (so not a GT) and use it? Crazy idea I know.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    njee20 wrote:
    [They're even more Webbo than the Orange. If you're not riding any of your bikes why not get rid of all of them, get one nice one (so not a GT) and use it? Crazy idea I know.

WHAT?!?! have a bike and actually ride it? :shock:
  • njee20
    Yeah, sorry, dunno what came over me. It'll never catch on.
  • 12 miles according to google maps. Its obviously doable. But not really worth it. The bus is probably faster because there is not much traffic usually on the route i take. I might do a bit of riding (offroad) on the days i finish early, as i still need to get on the bike. But when the days grow really short, that will probably stop as well.

I already have one nice one, my Chucker. The reason i said i wanted another Chucker is because i would quite fancy a rigid one and a front sus one. And i get on really well with my current Chucker. Not because it has a GT sticker on it... Im pretty confident saying that i have done more miles on my Raleigh than all of the bikes i have ever owned.
  • njee20
    12 miles? Definitely MTFU.
  • Haha i know i know...

but its not really worth it if the bus is quicker. Ill be all sweaty and what not at the start of the day. (there are girls at the new place, the old place was only boys). Lol.