25mm tyre/mudguard clearance Winter frame

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello.

Sorry if this has been done to death on here. Looking for a new winter frame that has clearance for 25mm or 28mm tyres. I would prefer to use the SKS plastic muguards as ive tried the cruds and dont like them. Ribble says their audax / winter frame is only big enough for 23mm tyres..... Oh i ride Michelin Krylions or the new Endurance. cheers.

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Tifosi CK7 Audax,
    here's mine:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12887619&p=17966946&hilit=Tifosi#p17962591

Now also wears Michelin Endurance Pro4 on Mavic Ksyriums which come up as 27mm
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Genesis Equilibrium. Just completed a build on an Equilibrium frameset. Running 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC at the moment and have loads of clearance for guards.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/fra ... quilibrium

Will be fitting guards in next few weeks - also looking at trying out some 28mm tyres.
  • Kinesis 4S/TK3 looks like the most racy option. There are lots of CX and steel options too.

Depends what you want to use it for I suppose?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Cheers for the replies. I had a CK7 Tifosi but am now using that on my turbo. Looking for a trusty old (new) :D winter bike for getting the miles in. the clearance on the Tifosi with 25mm tyres was close and sometimes it would rub. Genesis bikes come up quite small. I would need at least a 62cm or 63cm.
  • 28mm conti gator skins fit under mudguards in a CK7 loads of room in there for 25mm. Traitor Exile also has lots of room but you are not going to find one of those.

Why not go for an equilibrium disc. Kenesis do a good winter trainer frame too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Ribbles 525 does take 25mm Conti 4 seasons, I have one. Phone Ribble and check if the Alu frame does, I'm confident it will.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I'm moving on from my Genesis Aether (which I've been running 28's on) to an Equilibrium.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Running 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres with SKS P35 guards on my Kinesis.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Ribbles 525 does take 25mm Conti 4 seasons, I have one. Phone Ribble and check if the Alu frame does, I'm confident it will.
    I've got an Alu Ribble Audax and I can only fit 23's with full mudguards.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the original Racelight Tk (Kinesis later evolved it into Tk2, Tk3 then 4S). That's running 25mm GP4S and SKS chromoplstics with loads of room. Looks like it would take 28's (or the 25mm Michelins that come up to 27mm)

I bought it as a do it all bike 7 years ago when I could only afford one, and it excelled at that. Now I have a carbon CR1-SL for the summer, but the Tk is still my wet weather bike (which in some years is 9 months out of 12) and it's still a hoot to ride.

So I'd suggest a Racelight 4S, or a T2 if you want something cheaper. Or maybe a second hand Tk / Tk2 / Tk3
  • jordan_217
    e999sam wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Really? That's not great considering the intended use/selling point of that bike :(
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Kinesis T2 here - just fitted a new set of Pro 4 Endurance in 25mm yesterday, had been running GP 4 seasons but they seem to be wearing out so quickly so have gone back to Michelin as I used to like the Krylions.

Loads of clearance with the Tortec guards - 28's would not be a problem.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    jordan_217 wrote:
    e999sam wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

Really? That's not great considering the intended use/selling point of that bike :(

That's one of the reasons it didn't make my shortlist 7 years ago and I ended up buying the Racelight Tk. I absolutely wanted full guards and at least 25mm tyres. I'd be spoilt for choice now.
  • jordan_217
    keef66 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    e999sam wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

That's one of the reasons it didn't make my shortlist 7 years ago and I ended up buying the Racelight Tk. I absolutely wanted full guards and at least 25mm tyres. I'd be spoilt for choice now.

Well Ribble will no doubt be losing sales from a popular area of the market. I dare say people have also disregarded the 525 too as Ribble's website doesn't clearly state it will accept 25mm tyres and when I was researching the bike I came across several user forums where posters clearly state it won't accept 25mm's and that stopped people buying one (I think this was based on the info on Ribbles website). I called Ribble to ask and they confirmed it will take them and indeed it does.

Come on Ribble, get it sorted!
  • I've just built a bike up with a Ribble Sportive 365 carbon frame and it's got loads of clearance for tyres after fitting mudguards. I also have a bike with a De Rosa Milanino ally frame and this also has loads of clearance. In both cases I have fitted SKS mudguards. I had the Ribble ally sportive for a while and can confirm the the mudguard clearance is tight and it won't accept more than a 23mm tyre.
  • Kinesis 4S here, running 25mm gp4s with sks guards, loads of room
    Neilpryde Alize - Kinesis 4S - Cube Ltd