scott foil 10 vs supersix evo advice

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I have narrowed my choice down to two, a foil 10 or evo.

I have previously owned a supersix that came second best to a smidsy so although its something I know I like, I am tempted by the foil.

Either bike would be used for fast club rides and the odd 3/4 race next year.

anyone own or ridden a foil 10 that can give an honest assessment of the frame and the standard syncros rr 2.0 wheels?

thanks

Comments

• I can only comment on the frame (2012 Foil 10 HMX carbon).

I've been riding mine for 12 months now and it's been a superb bike. I have it kitted out with Campagnolo Record and Zipp 303 FC tubs. It's stiff as, but I don't find it a harsh ride and I'm more than happy to knock out a century on it (in miles not km). It looks fast in the flesh/carbon.
  • tom3
    thanks, it would be the cheaper carbon layup but I can't see there being a massive difference tbh.

Good to know its not too harsh. I am on a CAAD10 at the moment and my back is done in after a 50.

how does it climb?
  • I don't subscribe to the 'it climbs well/it's goes really fast' description - because it's the rider that does that. However i've gone up quite a few meters on mine and it's been fun ;-)
  • tom3
    I don't subscribe to the 'it climbs well/it's goes really fast' description - because it's the rider that does that. However i've gone up quite a few meters on mine and it's been fun ;-)

fair comment, cant argue with that response :D I will re phrase, is there any flex through the frame when climbing?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I've just returned from 4 days in the Alps and completed over 30000ft of climbing. I can assure you there is no flex at all.
    Super comfortable as long as your fit is right
    I run 25mm tyres on wide rims which will make it more comfortable

Matt
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    tom3 wrote:
    thanks, it would be the cheaper carbon layup but I can't see there being a massive difference tbh.

Good to know its not too harsh. I am on a CAAD10 at the moment and my back is done in after a 50.

how does it climb?

The only difference between the HMF and HMX Foils is weight. The frames have been designed to ride the same.

I've had two Foils. Fantastic bikes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tom3
    Thanks for the responses. Anyone ran the stock syncros rr2.0.

Sorry for all the questions.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I switched to a Foil (40) after my Supersix was stolen. Then, when I destroyed my first Foil in a crash, I got another one (frameset plus 6870 di2).

Both are very nice bikes.

For me, the Foil feels much more urgent at all times. Steering is more immediate and twitchy. The frame is stiff and harsh - it can be like riding a rodeo at times on rough surfaces - but, for whatever reason, I've never found this to translate into discomfort. I've ridden Foils on short dashes, a mountainous etape and a ride of 400 miles in 4 days in perfect comfort. There's always a sense of urgency and fun about it though.

The Supersix was much more laid back - still fast and stiff, but more relaxing. I don't remember it scaring me the way the Foil can at times.

I place a great deal of the blame for the crash that destroyed my first Foil on the harshness of the frame (I simply lost control at over 40mph on a rough, gravelly, bend covered in hailstones - it really hurt) but I still went back and got another one, because the thrills are worth the spills.

YMMV.

EDIT: Also, Supersix has BB30. Creak creak creak...
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I recently built up a Foil HMX frame. Click on my sig below for my thoughts on it. But to cut a long story short, it's super solid under power. Zero flex.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I've got a Foil 10 with Sram Red. I absolutely love it, as said its harsh on rough surfaces but never actually uncomfortable and you can spend hours on it with no issues at all. It's also a great looking bike, and let's be honest that does matter.

Having said that, I like the SS Evo too and like you was split between the two. I don't regret choosing the Foil for one minute (although I'm having a rear derailleur issue that I can't figure out, which has nothing to do with the bike!).

Mine has the 46mm Syncros/DT Swiss RR1.5 wheels. They weigh pretty much the same as the equivalent DA and Zipps (1650g or so) so I'm more than happy with them.
  • vermin wrote:
    Steering is more immediate and twitchy.

I thought this was just me and my riding style. I also find it twitchy on descents but it does't stop me riding it hard.

Having never owned a 'good' bike although I did consider my Boardman Team Carbon 'good' when I bought it, I didn't expect the Foil to make as much of a difference to my riding as it has.

It's a great bike to climb on and although I can't compare it to the Evo I can vouch that it's a fast and comfortable bike.

Longest for me so far is 80 miles (I've only clocked up 500 thus far) I do have two 100 milers booked this year and plan on taking the Foil as I'm confident it will be fine.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Grill
    Neal1984 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

I thought this was just me and my riding style. I also find it twitchy on descents but it does't stop me riding it hard.

Having never owned a 'good' bike although I did consider my Boardman Team Carbon 'good' when I bought it, I didn't expect the Foil to make as much of a difference to my riding as it has.

It's a great bike to climb on and although I can't compare it to the Evo I can vouch that it's a fast and comfortable bike.

Longest for me so far is 80 miles (I've only clocked up 500 thus far) I do have two 100 milers booked this year and plan on taking the Foil as I'm confident it will be fine.

Never experienced twitchines on my Foils. In fact my Wyndy is far twitchier. Are y'all's running short stems?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Only twitchy relative to the supersix.
  • Grill wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Never experienced twitchines on my Foils. In fact my Wyndy is far twitchier. Are y'all's running short stems?

I use an 100mm stem same as my other bike. The only other major diffrence is the wheel set is considerably lighter and also 50mm deep.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    tom3 wrote:

how does it climb?

Interesting point about the CAAD10. I had similar issues with ride quality with mine. I fitted a set of 3T Ergonova carbon bars and a FSA carbon seatpost and the ride was transformed. Its went from bone jarring to comfortable overnight.

My bad back issues were sorted by flipping the stem. The bike didn't look as cool but my back thanks me for it now.

P
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    The Foil 10 is the HMX carbon btw, I think the HMF starts with the 15.
  • Grill
    NorvernRob wrote:
    The Foil 10 is the HMX carbon btw, I think the HMF starts with the 15.

Only 2013 and older. The 2014+ Foil 10 is HMF.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Grill wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:
    vermin wrote:

Running the same cockpit as my Cayo Evo and despite them having almost identical geometry, the Foil definately has more reactive steering, with the centre of gravity feeling slightly higher. The upside to this, is that the Foil tips into bends really quickly, but still holds its line well. Conversely, due to the speed of it's steering, I actually feel more confident decending on it than with my Cayo. Its definately less compliant though.