New brakes

benchallinor
benchallinor Posts: 38
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Decided it's time to upgrade the Elixir 1 brakes that came on my Giant Reign to either SLXs or XTs. Don't really mind which, just after the best value for money.

Found SLXs for £90 a pair at Merlin Cycles (bike-discount.de is slightly cheaper but not in stock). Cheapest price I can find for XTs is £118 at Chain Reaction.

Should I go for the SLXs? Or has anyone seen either of these at a better price?!

Comments

• Have a look on the german sites - Bike discount.de, rosebikes etc they are often cheaper there.

If cost is an issue, the DEORE brakes are almost up to the level of SLX brakes.

What ever you go for, they will be a vast improvement on your Avids
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I upgraded to XT's from elixir 1's and they have better control / power. Also you just fit and forget them, rather than having to keep fiddling.
  • What's the difference exactly between SLX and XT? Is it worth the extra £30?
  • No idea exactly. But XT is always worth it unless it means you or your family will go hungry.
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    for 30 quid difference id go for the xt's. Personally brakes are the most important non structural part of the bike
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not sure on the difference, my wife's bike had SLX which were much better than the Elixir 1's. Never needed adjusting and the wheel dropped straight in with no brake rubbing each time. My XT's are the same, just made a slight adjustment once they had worn in a bit and good ever since.