Cycling offences, driving licenses and the law

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
I was having a heated discussion with my brother on this, but as far as I can tell (and what makes sense to me) you CANNOT receive points on your driving license for ANY offences committed on a bicycle.

The ones I can think of (I have no actual idea) which would get you points are:

Speeding
Drinking
RLJing

Can someone point me to specific points which would clear this up? My brother works with a policeman so I think I was overstepping the mark by saying it couldn't be done.

My example was that if 2 individuals were cycling along committing one of the above offenses, one with 9 points and one who had never had a license, the former would lose it, and the latter would only have a fine (or something).

Cheers

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    coriordan wrote:
    ...you CANNOT receive points on your driving license for ANY offences committed on a bicycle.

I think this sums it up.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • This page should help as it's a little more complex:

http://ukcyclerules.com/2010/09/27/can- ... g-offence/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Damn. Looks like I was wrong.

Thanks for the link
  • Your original point was correct. You cannot get points but you can have your licence to drive removed.

Remember that the word licence means "permission" or "evidence of permission", and this can always be removed by the courts.

So while you cannot accumulate points you can be barred from driving motor vehicles on the road.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • or racing, or by wilful misconduct or wilful neglect on a bicycle

Holey Moley - does that mean you can lose your licence for scalping that roadie or not having cleaned your chain in an ultrasonic bath or kept your tan lines sharp? :shock:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • or racing, or by wilful misconduct or wilful neglect on a bicycle

Holey Moley - does that mean you can lose your licence for scalping that roadie or not having cleaned your chain in an ultrasonic bath or kept your tan lines sharp? :shock:

I reckon that means beards are illegal while cycling. This is a good thing.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just say you are andrew flintoff and working for charity... Always does it for me
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812

I reckon that means capes are illegal while cycling. This is a good thing.
    FTFY
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:

I reckon that means capes are illegal while cycling. This is a good thing.
    FTFY

Capes add sartorial elegance and intimidate roadies....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X