Giant Defy 4 Brake compatibilty

MartinGT
MartinGT Posts: 475
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I got a Giant Defy 4 frame and forks off a mate, got them resprayed.

I had some Shimano 105 brakes I was hoping to use on it, however I cannot use the front brakes as it doesnt work. I cannot get the backing tension nut on as it doesnt have the correct recess.

I have tried looking for a spec, but not any help.

Anyone help?

Comments

• Probably just needs a longer nut such as these:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... snabrzz200
  • The problem is, when I goto thread the brake through, the hole Ø isnt actually big enough for me to thread it through so I cant get a backing nut on.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You sure it's a Defy fork?? If so any standard brake caliper should fit...

Or perhaps the respray has gunked up the hole the bolt should be going through? Bit of judicious sanding perhaps?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    As above, most likely paint build up from the respray. Open the hole dia. up with a 6" long round profile file to remove the excess.
  • Right, this is confusing me.

I have cleaned it out and its thrown up another mystery. The pivot bolt isnt long enough to poke out to get the tension nut on the rear and there isnt enough clearance to get a but in.

I shall try and get a couple of pics posted up soon so I make more sense.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    What model of 105 is it BR-5700? The front brake should come with a selection of pivot nuts, usually a 10.5mm, 12.5mm and 18mm long, there are also a 27mm and 32mm long pivot nuts available for aero forks, what is the length of the pivot nut you are trying to fit? It should be a 32mm.

Edit.

I've just had a look at a Shimano BR-R561 front brake, similar to the BR-5700 the measurements are
    Pivot Bolt Length is 27mm (measured from the back of the caliper)
    Spacer washer 2mm thick
    Pivot Nut Length 32mm