Which Hub ?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited October 2014 in MTB buying advice
Similar question to the Hubba hubba thread, but different.......

I am feeling inspired to try wheel building, I have already successfully done a rim swap so this is the next step!

I want some light(er than current) wheels for my Carrera (link in Sig) and am considering the following options

1/ Rebuild using my current Superstar (Superleggera/Trizoid) hubs with better spokes (currently plain gauge so heavy, although decent quality) and lighter weight carbon rims (LB being no1 option)
2/ Build fresh as above but with something like Hope hubs (not ridiculously expensive)

Option 2 appeals as it means I can still ride the bike (unless I put on some of my shonky spare rims) while I do the build, but I'm not sure of the weight improvement of the Hopes (listed as 187g front (QR) and 295g rear) versus the SS hubs (Struggling to find a weight although may be similar to the switch EVO at 202/290g?)

Thoughts/suggestions and ridicule all accepted.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Please use this one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A2Z hubs, cheap, light, reasonable longevity. Should be about 1300g on LB rims if you get some light ones (just ask when you order).
  • The Rookie
    Hmm, yes they are light and as you say not silly pricey at all...worth considering.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Hmm, yes they are light and as you say not silly pricey at all...worth considering.

Suspect you'd need to buy them new though.

Wow this could be a first and a totally brand new set of wheels (something) for you!
  • The Rookie
    Steady on.......I suspect you are right though!

Rims will have to be new anyway!
  • For my last set of wheels - I had the same thought as you. But when I did the maths and the hassle equation it worked out better to buy a set built.

A spoke and nipple was coming in at just over a pound each - so that was at least £70 in spokes alone.
  • The Rookie
    Don't worry I'll cost it all up properly.

Just figured I do have a few new bits on the bike, grips, saddle and seatpost and clamp, brake hoses, shifter cable, that's quite a lot, Oh and the tubes are new as well!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    njee20 wrote:
    A2Z hubs, cheap, light, reasonable longevity. Should be about 1300g on LB rims if you get some light ones (just ask when you order).

Rear hub pawl system is pretty poor and wears out really fast.
  • njee20
    Mine didn't, never missed a beat. Maybe if you're fat...
    Rims will have to be new anyway!

A friend was selling some DT Alpine (or Crest, I forget) rims dirt cheap if you're interested.
    A spoke and nipple was coming in at just over a pound each - so that was at least £70 in spokes alone.

Rosebikes for silver spokes, other German shops for black, I paid €0.50 each for black Revolutions, with nips.
  • My LB rims on hope pro 2 hubs and comp spokes came in at approx £400 to give you an idea.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    That is good value - think my rims were £248 in the end with charges and that.
  • The Rookie
    Just to bring this to a conclusion, the front wheel has been built and can be seen on this page
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12850357&p=19140110#p19140110
    A2Z front hub (goes nicely with the A2Z front disc!), will have a Novatec rear direct from Taiwan.