Giant Defy 1 Advice

theblarney
theblarney Posts: 102
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
HI,

Im trying Road Biking as a way to keep fit during the winter as I normally ride a MTB.

I have been given the opportunity to buy a good as new Giant Defy 1 Road Bike at a too good to miss price (I know its not stolen).

Looking on the Giant website I should be a medium(ish) frame but the bike is a large.

Is there anything I can do to the components that will help me be as comfortable as possible? Im not planning on massive 100 mile+ rides, just to use it on a Turbo Trainer, and the odd event like Palace to Palace and Road rides during the winter months.

This really is my best option of getting a road bike and I dont want to miss it unless I have to.

I am about 5'11.

Thanks

Gavin

Comments

• That will be way too big for you. It's only a bargain if it fits properly - the sales are littered with big and small sizes of everything which is great for big and small people but not those in the middle. If it was a m/l it could have been worth looking at stem length and seatpost setback but large is 6'+ territory
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    As above to BIG, read this.
    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12882623
  • I am 5'11 and ride an ML and wonder if it a shade big.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • I think a ML will be fine. I'm 6'1" and have just switched from an ML to an L, much better for me.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • I'd say it will be too large

I'm also 5' 11 and I'm on an M/L Defy 1 and I'm probably on my comfortable limit stretching to the bars
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Try to get a fit on a bike - body proportions are different for various people - do not base fit purely on height. I am 5'10 and the M/l Defy veers toward being small rather than large for me.
  • How cheap?
    Rutland are doing them new for £699: http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281112/pr ... k-red.aspx
  • How cheap?
    Rutland are doing them new for £699: http://www.rutlandcycling.com/281112/pr ... k-red.aspx
    Almost half that and it's been ridden once
  • But a better chance of the right size from Rutland. A great deal is only that if the bike is the right size.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • If it's just to stick on a turbo trainer then buy some second hand hack that fits.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    letap73 wrote:
    Try to get a fit on a bike - body proportions are different for various people - do not base fit purely on height. I am 5'10 and the M/l Defy veers toward being small rather than large for me.

This is true and if the OP has a long torso and gorilla arm reach he may get away with it, however he asked what he could do to make it comfortable. This usually means the compromise of shoving the seat forward and fitting a shorter stem, which would probably make it not very nice to ride on the road.

OP are you going to sit on the bike and test ride it, or are you buying it unseen and hoping it will fit? If you have a Giant retailer near to you, go and try sizes, M, M/L and L.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

This is true and if the OP has a long torso and gorilla arm reach he may get away with it, however he asked what he could do to make it comfortable. This usually means the compromise of shoving the seat forward and fitting a shorter stem, which would probably make it not very nice to ride on the road.

OP are you going to sit on the bike and test ride it, or are you buying it unseen and hoping it will fit? If you have a Giant retailer near to you, go and try sizes, M, M/L and L.
    I have just picked up the bike and the guy has said that if I want it I can have it. I do want it for a turbo trainer but also for the odd sportive like palace to palace. All I'm trying to find out is could I shorten the stem slightly or do anything else to make it more comfortable.

I ride a mountain bike more often and this would be for the odd trip.