Chainset - Chainguard REMOVAL?? off TALON 2

Moreyn
Moreyn Posts: 124
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,
Just bought myself a GIANT TALON 27.5 - 2 it's the 2014 model. Got rid of the plastic reflectors ; also the plastic pie plate behind the cassette. BUT; here's the problem, this bike came with a plastic CHAINGUARD covering the Chainset.

How do I remove it from the chainset????? There are some srews at the rear of the chainset, 4, of them positioned in the middle ring; but the teeth of the small ring are covering them (connot get at them properly) and they are small screws. Does anyone have the same giant model? how does one remove this unsightly chainguard? Big screwdriver and praise it off or something else? I've built many bikes over the years, but this chainguard got me stumped. Must be a simple way to remove it surely? HELP!

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Undo screws (small phillips head) and the trouser guard falls off (it doesn't protect the chain from anything!).

You may have to remove the cranks and small (Granny or more likely middle) or remove the large ring from the cranks in situ, remove guard and refit. or yes you could just mangle it until it falls apart but you'll have to split the bosses the screws go into or it will look even worse than it does now!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Moreyn
    Moreyn Posts: 124
    Job done, and the guard is still whole! Thanks for the reply Rookie, Appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They sell for a couple of quid on ebay, SRAM/Truvative use one bolt hole pattern, Shimano a similar BUT different one.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.