Chainset changes...

kerbbumper
kerbbumper Posts: 62
edited September 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening.

I currently run a 1x9 set up on my Carrera kraken, race face narrow wide front 34t single, have an SRAM -x5 shifter and rear derailleur. Looking to upgrade this without having to spend to much but also getting much improved performance.

Already have a kmc 9-speed chain.

I have looked at Shimano Xt 9-speed. Xt rear shifter £28.99. : Xt rapid rise r £57.99 : Xt cassette £31.49. £118.47. Looked at all Xtr versions with a total of £171.47

Or I thought maybe change to 1x10. And go for all SLX - slx m675 derailleur £ 35.99 : m670 shifter £ 27.99 : slx cassette £25.49 : 10 speed chain £14.99. £ 104.46

All prices are current on chain reaction- plus I have a discount on orders over £50.

I did also look at the SRAM range could move up to x7 for under 100. The X0 range does impress but it would be double the price of the shimano stuff. But don't think it of the same quality, I like that the shadow + has the clutch mech and would help with the chain retention.

So what would you say is the best Value, and possibly best option?

I have also recently upgraded the brakes to slx..

Comments

• There are mate yea, my head is pickled with it all, I have update the right Xt model.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd just upgrade with better SRAM shifter and mech, then you don't have to do both at the same time, do the shifter first.

I'd look on ebay or various classifieds and try and get some good used parts, my son upgraded his from X5 to latest X7 shifters and and X0 for a total of just under £30 (he lucked in on the X0 mech!). If you feel daring you could try a twist shiter, I use one on my commuter and it's really nice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Do you think I would notice a difference moving to 1x 10? And going all Shimano Slx, seems a pretty cheap option.

Or just move to SRAM x9 shifters and rear mech and new cassette. I need to replace the cassette anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only difference in 1x10 is a slightly lower lowest gear (for the same chainring size) with a slightly heavier cassette.

SLX is good kit, the latest X7 and X9 shifters are good, back to the shift quality of their older stuff, but I wouldn't get an X7 rear mech X9 or 0.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.