So, this place is supposed to be full of IT boffins

13»

Comments

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    rjsterry wrote:
    All ten of those apply to pretty much any profession.

I use not having Professional Indemnity Insurance as my default reason for not offering free advice in my profession as you are right all of those would apply
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Might also want to disable WIFI on the Sagem BEFORE switching it on on the Linksys to avoid conflicts with two WIFI signals being in close proximity to each other (if any).

Which, if it occurs, leads to the question of how you communicate with the sagem with no WIFI? Might want to have a hard Ethernet connection to the Sagem and leave all WIFI handling to the Linksys.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Is that faint dot I see in the distance light at the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train?
    It was light at the end of the tunnel!

Boff spotted the problem, the BIOS needed updating. BIOS updated, PC restarted, default router URL entered, password entered and job done.

Right, now that I'm in, how do I set the router up as an access point?

tsk you kids today
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • You want the Linksys to be the wireless access point and the Sagem to be the ADSL router? Is that right?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    You want the Linksys to be the wireless access point and the Sagem to be the ADSL router? Is that right?
    Yes.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    TimothyW wrote:
    I could pop round if you're desperate, you can fettle my front dérailleur if you like. I think I need to move the clamp up slightly as it occasionally gets bent when I shift into the little ring, although of course rule 90 means that this never happens.

Timing might be complicated by the impending arrival of my firstborn however.

Thanks for the offer. I hadn't seen it before.
    If I don't get it going I may have to take you up on it.

• EKE_38BPM
    Sorted now.
    The best thing I can say about it is that Mrs EKE didn't really notice I had done anything as the network name and password were the same so it was seamless, but we've now got decent coverage upstairs and in the garden.

Thanks to TimothyW.

Strangely, I can access the setup page of the Sagem but not the Linksys (wirelessly or Ethernet). I guess the Sagem has given it a URL other than 192.168.1.1 but I can't find what it is.
    Good thing I don't need to access it now that I've got it set up as I (currently) want it.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    now you've written everything down somewhere online that you'll be able to find again in the future?

haven't you
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    itboffin wrote:
    now you've written everything down somewhere online that you'll be able to find again in the future?

haven't you
    Yes, but if I need it again, I'm probably having a problem with the router so won't have internet access anyway.
    So any idea on how to get access to the Linksys?

• seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    If you have an smart phone (android/iphone), download an app called "Fing" - it is a network scanner and will let you know what's on your network with IP addresses/MAC addresses etc.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava