Vuelta TT positions

Dippydog2
Dippydog2 Posts: 291
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Looking at a series of photos from today it looks like they are all falling off the front of their saddles.

And, looking at the videos they never get their heels even close to horizontal and the clip I saw of Contador he was gradually sliding forward in the saddle until he nearly came off, and then moving significantly aft every few pedal revolutions until then starting the cycle again.

In simple terms, what is the reason for this? Must be because if makes them go faster, but is it only sustainable for short periods? If not, surely they would be doing it in the longer states as well?

Numpty question. Perhaps it should be in Road Beginners?

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Contador quite often slips forward on his saddle and slides back when he's going 100%.

FWIW I do the same on my TT bike. Although I have a very slight forward tilt on my saddle which they wouldn't allow in UCI races (not that I'd be troubling the timekeepers).
  • Dippydog2 wrote:
    Looking at a series of photos from today it looks like they are all falling off the front of their saddles.

And, looking at the videos they never get their heels even close to horizontal and the clip I saw of Contador he was gradually sliding forward in the saddle until he nearly came off, and then moving significantly aft every few pedal revolutions until then starting the cycle again.

In simple terms, what is the reason for this? Must be because if makes them go faster, but is it only sustainable for short periods? If not, surely they would be doing it in the longer states as well?

I think its to do with hip angle.

If you can sit further forward relative to the bottom bracket, you can open your hips out more and therefore get into a lower position. The UCI has rules concerning the position of the saddle ( the nose must be 5cm behind the BB) to stop really extreme positions -> therefore riders tend to sit as far forward as possible on the nose of the saddle, which can cause them to move around a lot.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Dippydog2 wrote:

I think its to do with hip angle.

If you can sit further forward relative to the bottom bracket, you can open your hips out more and therefore get into a lower position. The UCI has rules concerning the position of the saddle ( the nose must be 5cm behind the BB) to stop really extreme positions -> therefore riders tend to sit as far forward as possible on the nose of the saddle, which can cause them to move around a lot.

That rule has changed (it's quite complex) and that is why you see them sitting further forward this year , especially the smaller guys.