Do I really need different wheels?

Dippydog2
Dippydog2 Posts: 291
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I have just ordered a Specialized Diverge.

Should you wish to tell me I have made a terrible decision please feel free to do so, but it is too late! :D

On the other hand, I would be interested in everyone's view on the wheels. They are the famous AXIS 4.0 Disc wheels which I am yet to see a favourable review of. Fitted with the "Specialized Roubaix Pro, 120TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, Endurant casing, 700x30/32c" as supplied with or something else.

I intend to use the bike for local cycle tracks, wet winter roads with the odd bit of mud, cow dung etc and grassy downs.

My suspicion is that they will be fine for the job. I could perhaps buy something more expensive that will go faster, but I do not really care. It's winter. It's supposed to be hard. When I jump back on my spring bike I will be amazed at how fast I am.

Have I missed the point, again?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dippydog2 wrote:

was there a point?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Dippydog2 wrote:

was there a point?
    Yes, it's about how bad really are the wheels and will changing them make a serious difference to what I want to do with them.

Sorry, English is not my first language it appears.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Fit a set of kinesis crosslights. 1580 Grammes.
  • Sound like perfect wheels for winter. Why waste money on something that's going to do the same job?

Unless you have loads of spare cash to spend...then why not...
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • carrock wrote:
    Fit a set of kinesis crosslights. 1580 Grammes.

Amen. They are the business. Got them as my off road wheels fitted with CX mud shifting tyres.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Rodders30 wrote:
    Unless you have loads of spare cash to spend...

Which you may not have, having just splashed out on your shiny new bike :D

Ride your bike as it comes, and write your own review. There aren't many other ways of finding out if any part of it doesn't work for you. And it gives you a chance to save up for new wheels if you decide to get them.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    You seem to have a very bad case of buyer's remorse.

Just get out there and enjoy the bike, forget any reviews, just ride the thing.
  • Crucially here is, can you afford to get new ones? If so, then yes. One of the first thing we all do is upgrade and wheels are a great place, in fact some say the first place (with tyres) to start.

That's a very expensive bike and the wheels do, as you say, not review awfully well.

The Kinesis are an excellent choice but that's a bit like having Campag wheels on a SRAM bike.

I'd recommend handbuilts. Archetype, HED or Pacenti etc on some Hope or XT(R) or Novatech hubs. Ugo will sort you.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    My suspicion is that they will be fine for the job.
    Well don't worry about it then. I'm sure you will get the opportunity to replace them after this winter with them being buggered anyway .. :wink:
  • They're disc wheels. If this winter buggers them I'd suggest replacing them now.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • In my experience, when you get a new bike you need to find what is good at and what exactly you are going to use it for. Maybe now the plan is to take it off road, but then maybe you will realise that actually you won't. It takes a while and in the meantime you don't want to spend any money upgrading components that might become pointless within a few weeks or months. You might even hate the bike and sell it in a couple of months and nobody will pay much of a premium for upgraded wheels.
    Au contraire, you might love it and ride it more than you think and realise that the wheels are crap and you need better ones, but as someone mentioned above, don't base your decisions on others reviews if you have the opportunity to find out for yourself at zero cost!
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,717
    No, just ride the thing then get some new wheels if you feel the need later.
  • Thanks everyone.

I am pretty sure I know what the bike will be used for. It's all the stuff I will not want to take my shiny white, skinny tired, carbon wheeled summer bike out for.

Pragmatism says just ride the new wheels and change them later.
    My historic performance says I will ditch them very quickly so better to sell them brand new before I trash them.

Looks like hand built might be the best option, with the lack of choice from manufacturers at the mo.
  • Velocity Aileron rim since you have disc brakes is the rim to go for now. Wider than the archetype same weight and alot cheaper and eaier to source than the HED rim (which is the same width). All the good hubs have been mentioned except the Shimano CX-75, it deserves a mention.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • To answer the OP's question no you don't really need different wheels, however think your probably going to but them anyway based on what you've said, so why not change now if you want to use the funds from selling the stock wheels for your new set. If your going to keep the stock wheels then your in no rush and can run the new bike as is and who knows you might find it's fine as is and you can spend your money elsewhere.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.