Shoes?

PaulC555
PaulC555 Posts: 58
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Evening all...

Based on the N+1 theory I am about to add another bike to the garage.....
Currently in the process of shortlisting some cross bikes. However I have been wondering what choice of footwear and pedals to add. Not sure I want to subject my nice Shimano shoes to the mud of our local trails...
Do you guys and gals use mountain bike spd's and shoes, or stick to road shoes...
Any advice?
Thanks all.....
Moda Tempo
Willier Triestina Lampre Team Version
Planet X XLS 105 CX Bike

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Get SPDs, you'll be thankful of it when you have to get off and walk (or run).
  • Spiuk mtb shoe's and Eggbeater pedals for me.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    SPDs (or equivalent).

Ian Field made a very good point in a webinar the other week; if you're racing, don't rely solely on velcro closures unless you want to lose a shoe in sticky mud at some point. BOA/Ratchet systems way more secure.

For racing, you also need the ability to fit toe studs (football boot studs work well for me).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I've recently switched to Time ATAC pedals on both my cross bike and MTB. The extra float seems to help my knees (I'm getting old!) and they clear mud really well.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Oh the financial controller will be well pleased......new shoes and pedals as well....
    Time to go....I've got some housework to do.......
    Thanks for the advice guys......
    Moda Tempo
    Willier Triestina Lampre Team Version
    Planet X XLS 105 CX Bike
  • stevenb
    stevenb Posts: 717
    My CX bike is a winter road bike and CX bike but I stick with Ritchey V4 spd pedals and my trusty and comfy Shimano Race30 shoes.