MTB Trails VS Cyclocross Bikes

einriba
einriba Posts: 319
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Really wasn't sure where to put this! Is it road / MTB....?

I'm about to step in to the cross world, but I'm gonna have to ditch my hardtail (space in the house + missus who isn't a believer in n+1).

Would a cross bike handle the likes of Cwmcarn trail / Afan Argoed / Glyncorwg ponds etc? Or am I going to smash it to pieces?
Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning

Comments

• Depends entirely on your riding skill level. I have seen more than one cx rider at Afan on the red trails at a pace which would keep up with the majority of mtb riders.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Fully lycra'd up cyclocrosser passed me on an uphill section of home baked at Gisburn, which is pretty techy climbing. (I'm not too fit, so being passed uphill isn't a shock). Reckon I'd have had him on the descents though; we'll never know as he disappeared off uphill before I got the chance.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I was passed by a Guy on a cyclo cross bike going up Cut Gate in the peaks. Its very technical natural trail climbing. He was fast but did look skillfull. As I got near the top he was on he's was back down which is full on downhill. He had good pace but not quite as flowy as the downhill and trail bikes.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be a harsher ride, and you'll need a reasonable degree of skill for it to be enjoyable, but they'll handle it.
  • einriba
    that's good to hear. I'd say I'm a good bike handler, particularly on the more technical stuff, not really a "balls out fly through the air" DH'er though....

I'll give it a go, if it goes wrong I can always hit the road
  • Friend of mine rides his on blues with his kids on their mtbs - falls off occasionally but he does that on his mtb too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll smash yourself well before the bike - I took recently took my CX bike around Glentress and Innerleithin - reds were no trouble but you'll need to be confident in your handling to ride black IMO - you can't half-commit to a 2 foot drop-off onto a rock garden. Started riding an MTB in 1990 where there was no suspension and people raced XC on 1.5" tyres, so not much change in 25 year! Stick an MTB double chainset on a CX bike and it'll get around 95% of what an MTB can do - I use my rigid fat bike for the rest. CX forces you to ride smoothly and not rely on the bike to compensate for your mistakes. My fastest time on my local 8 mile enduro course was ridden on a CX bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • einriba
    Excellent! My background is also riding mtb's early 90's on full rigid. I remember the old P2's I put on my bike! Always do well on technical courses so I'm hoping the skills transfer to the handling of a cx bike.

I've done quite a few big DH tracks on a hardtail with 100mm forks (Gawton, CwmCarn, Wharncliffe etc) but never got to the point of wanting a DH rig to take on the bigger stuff.

First proper ride on it tonight so we'll see how it goes. Steep learning curve!
  • Cross will handle most MTB XC type stuff, however I would personally use it more for rolling hills, mud, rather than rocky stuff.

The issues with CX for me would be, the brakes i.e. not in the prime position for control or power and the taller wheels/frame not quite giving me the ability to manoeuvre as well. There are short steep climbs I can do on the HT, but not on the CX - tyres seem to give first! I did a race earlier this year with a mix of MTB/CX, and on the one steep, slippery climb all the CXers dismounted, I was able to ride up, but I swear some where walking up quicker than my riding :lol:

It all down the bike/terrain/rider - I have seen someone on a CX go down a loose rocky decent faster than I ever would on my HT, but I aint a quick descender.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Took my CX around the trails at Swinley once, it was a hoot, but I took a battering from the stiff frame and forks and have never repeated the experience. Why not try to find trails (fire roads etc) that are more suited to a CX bike?
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd take my road bike around Swinley! Reckon it would be good on a cross bike!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    njee20 wrote:
    I'd take my road bike around Swinley! Reckon it would be good on a cross bike!

As I said, it's a laugh to do it once, but there are far better trails for a CX bike.

PS Swinley Forest CX owners club has to be one of the smallest bike clubs going............

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Swinley- ... 9312108615
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~