Recommended U Locks

Distorted Vision
Distorted Vision Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I was looking at recommendations for U locks for the new hybrid bike that I'll be buying shortly.
I was thinking about getting two locks. I bought this Masterlock Criterion in an Amazon Lightning Deal today:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CDOMYVY/

It was £37.99 but I'm thinking of cancelling it and getting a Kyptonite New York M18 for the frame and a Kryptonite New York 3000 for the back wheel instead. I liked the idea of having two locks. I should point out that my bike will not be used for commuting so this for mainly securing in my garage so weight isn't really an issue.

Many thanks!

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I keep my bikes in the basement which is locked, but for extra security I use a Kryptonite Kryptoflex cable to routed through all 3 bike frames and front wheels, this then is locked by the padlock of an Oxford HD motorcycle shackle lock, which also goes through all 3 frames. Finally I use an Abus Blaster 850 cable lock through the frames and back wheels.

A decent D lock and good cable should be all you need though, I just went with the above because I have a few bikes to lock together.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got a M18 new york and its pretty heavy but you'll not get through it without an angle grinder.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ground anchor alarmed garage with PIR light plus my cars butted up to it most days as im jogging to work because im weird like that (and they have showers)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    POAH wrote:
    I've got a M18 new york and its pretty heavy but you'll not get through it without an angle grinder.
    What about a hydraulic ram (bottle jack) which is how most D-locks are attacked (and not a sold secure test!)?

At home I just use a big thick heavy motorbike chain, as you say weight doesn't matter, of course you still risk them cutting through the frame as then they can strip the bike, sell the unidentifiable parts and bin the only part identifiable (and on many bikes a relatively small part of the value).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    What about a hydraulic ram (bottle jack) which is how most D-locks are attacked (and not a sold secure test!)?

would have to be small enough to fit in between the lock and the way I have mine locked up you'd not get one in even if it was thin enough to fit between the bars.
  • CitizenLee
    Bottle Jacks can be quite small...

lock-bottlejack.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • That's why it's best to leave as little of the inner part of the lock exposed as possible so you can't get it in not matter how small it is.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mechanical screw jacks are even smaller......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    A proper bike thief will be able to bust any lock. These things are mainly just to deter opportunists.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Yeah that's the problem these days. Angle grinders can be battery powered and very powerful. They'll get through most things you can carry.
  • I have one of these attached to the frame with a blank cartridge. They wont hang around when that goes off

http://www.airsoftworld.net/alarm-trip-mine-12g.html
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • CitizenLee
    kirby700 wrote:
    I have one of these attached to the frame with a blank cartridge. They wont hang around when that goes off

Nice, wouldn't mind that for my basement! Where do you get the blank carts from?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • They are available from the same website.

When they off in a garage or basement they s#$t themselves not to mention disturb the neighbourhood!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • poah
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Bottle Jacks can be quite small...

this is true, however smaller jacks have less power
  • poah
    kirby700 wrote:
    I have one of these attached to the frame with a blank cartridge. They wont hang around when that goes off

lol seriously tempted by that one
  • My neighbour (A Gamekeeper) uses them to protect game birds from foxes and poachers and on his motorbikes hence why I own one. I would say its deafening when it goes off. Brilliant
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA