Tubeless tyres - Schwalbe One vs Hutchinson Atoms

RobinB2
RobinB2 Posts: 111
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
I've decided to take the plunge and replace my current Conti GP4000 tyres with some tubeless replacements (on Stans 340 rims)

My local wheel builder currently has Schwalbe Ones in stock (my original default choice) but also has some Hutchinson Atoms. Can anybody recommend one over the other? Prices are pretty similar

They'll generally be used for fairly short (< 2 hours) and fast (for me) rides over hilly terrain. Currently I use either Conti GP4000 or Schwalbe Ultremo clinchers, so looking for something equivalent in a tubeless

Can't find any obvious thread on this so any feedback much appreciated

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    The Atoms are light for a tubeless but they are quite narrow by today's standards (23mm quoted but maybe even less than that in reality) and wear fairly quickly, so it depends how much life you want for your buck/pound, and how light you need to go.

I've not tried the Schwalbes yet (but I have some ready to go on) but the reports I've read are positive.

For regular riding then my current favourites are Bonty R3s which are grippy and supple and although they wear fairly quickly like the Atoms you can get them in 25mm so you get more grip and comfort than you would with the 23mm Atoms. Other options at 25mm are the Fusion3s but the last lot I had were sketchy in the wet so not quite what I was after.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Schwalbe review on my blog

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com
    left the forum March 2023
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    I've got both, Atom's are very narrow and low volume quite a bit narrower than One's and Ultremo's. Comfort wise run at 85-90psi there is less in it than the size difference suggests, the Atom's are pretty good in this respect but the One's are better.

Biggest difference for me was grip, the One's are way better, the Atom's seem to be quiet a hard rubber compound, by comparison the One's offer masses of confidence inspiring grip both in the wet and dry.

The Atom's seem reasonably robust, just one large Hawthorne puncture while I ran them, it sealed but needed a repair after the thorn was taken out. They cut a little, better than Ultremo's but the One's are surprsingly good in this respect. I live in a very flinty area with poor road surfaces and plenty of farmers cutting hawthorne, running tubes I was puncturing ever couple of rides. The Ones have punctured and not sealed twice in three months, mine are the easiest of the tubeless I've tried to get on and off which is a bonus if you do have to pop a tube in. They were also no problem to seat initially, straight on with a track pump, they took a couple of weeks to seal up fully and now loose a few psi over a week or so.

I rode the Atom's after Ultremo's and other than the fact they didn't cut as much prefered the Ultremo. The One's are a good bit better than the Ultremo imho. Hope that helps
  • defride wrote:
    they took a couple of weeks to seal up fully and now loose a few psi over a week or so.

Mine sealed straightaway and did not lose pressure... are your rims tubeless ready?
    left the forum March 2023
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Does anyone know of any internet shops in the UK with Schwalbe One tubeless 25mm in stock?
  • RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    Thanks for all the feedback - much appreciated

I went for the Schwalbe Ones in the end and was completely surprised by the ease with which they went on the wheel - easier than installing a clincher and tube in fact. One tip from the wheel builder I bought the tyres from was to pour the sealant into the tyre before finishing completely pushing the tyre onto the rim all the way round. This means no faffing around trying to inject the sealant into the valve

Early days, but a quick run round one of my local loops they felt fine

Only drawback I can see is the high cost of the tyres compared to equivalent clinchers
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Cost is clearly an issue but Evans has 25mm Bonty R3s on sale for £32 at the moment which is not far off a clincher.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer