frame advice

Roo76
Roo76 Posts: 21
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have a carerra banshee as a spare bike that my brother uses when he occasionally comes out to play, its been upgraded over time (pretty much everything except the cranks so far) I'd like to swap the upgraded parts onto a lighter/better frame but not knowing much about mountain bikes I've no idea what frames would work with the parts I have.
What frames (on a budget of £3-400ish) would suit a 140mm fork? I assume most drivetrain parts will be largely universal?
Thanks,
Roo.

Comments

• Roo76
    Sorry, new to forum.. Hi :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some might, some might not - you need to find a frame, make a list of parts and specs/sizes and compare.
    Headsets, BBs etc can be a problem. And shocks depend on frame. Unlikely to be compatible unless you are lucky.
    Assuming you intend to build a FS. You haven't been very specific.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For that price you are going to be looking used I presume?

If you get one with a 68mm English BB and QR rear you'll be sorted for most stuff, needs to be able to take your 1 1/8th straight fork.

Seatpost, clamp and front Mech may not carry over, steerer on the forks may be too short and you may need a new headset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Roo76
    Sorry yes I should've been more specific, I'm looking for a used fs frame. I'd change headsets and bbs as a matter of course and haven't upgraded the cranks or front mech yet, I intend to upgrade these at the same time as the frame.
    So bearing that in mind, what models should I be looking for? trawling pinkbike and ebay is heavy going when you've no real clue what you're looking at. :D
    I suppose ideally a shortlist of fs frames to suit the 140mm straight steerer fork is what i'm after.
    I've seen a few zestys and commencal meta 55s but i've no idea if these are suitable?
    thanks, Roo.