Squeaky Bike

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I've changed the pedals, tightened up my nuts and I'm still squeaking. Dear God please help.

It has been mentioned my Bottom Bracket needs regreasing in the threads. I have been known to use a pressure washer on low'ish pressure so might have sloshed some the grease out. The noise does vary from one day to the next. The bearings don't seem to be making the noise as I know this sound and it's not that; I think.
Any help please! :)

Clip below of my squeaky bike. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xGqiREaqQ
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Could be soo many things.....
    Already read this?
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12581556
  • Does it only creak when putting down power or all the time? What about standing vs sitting and no handed.

I have had a similar issue and it was pedals not tight enough and also one a rear wheel wasn't quite tight enough.

Do you check your nuts with a torque wrench as you could also have over tightened some.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Thanks for that. The bike creaks more when my right pedal goes down but I might have a right leg bias being right handed etc. Out of the saddle, it is quite pronounced as I guess the the power is going down in sudden way.
    Can't work out whether it comes from the bottom bracket or from the rear chainstay. Tricky job. :?

I recently tightened the nuts on the chainrings and elsewhere. :?

Thanks for your help as it can drive others nuts on the Clubrun. :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • is it a squeak or a creak?
    If its a squeak, it will be bearings. Sometimes when sealed bearing sieze, they rotate in the cups causinga squeak.
    Check BB then wheels.
  • As already said, it could be so many things. If it's a squeak thought, don't rule out simple cleat/pedal interface, and particularly if it's mainly one side. Clean both the pedal and the cleat, and spray some lube or furniture polish onto a cloth and smear both.

Worth a shot even if not, as it's so quick. After a recent squeak developed, I'd stripped and regreased chainring bolts, BB, and was just thinking about headset when I remembered this, and 5 mins later problem gone. Good luck, John.