CX bike in the peak district around edale a no no?

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited October 2014 in Routes
Evening all,

I'm off to edale for the millionth time in a couple of weeks, but for the first time with the bike.

Are the classics (mam tor, rushup edge, jacobs ladder etc) doable on a CX bike?I do have a hardtail, but prefer the CX bike but only know what the walking trails are like and therefore not sure what surface etc are like.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    mpatts wrote:
    Evening all,

I'm off to edale for the millionth time in a couple of weeks, but for the first time with the bike.

Are the classics (mam tor, rushup edge, jacobs ladder etc) doable on a CX bike?I do have a hardtail, but prefer the CX bike but only know what the walking trails are like and therefore not sure what surface etc are like.

Yeah, Jacobs Ladder would be a doddle.

Have fun.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    weird, two threads on riding cross bikes off road. It'll be a harsh ride, and you'll need a fair degree of skill to enjoy it, but it'll be fine.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    njee20 wrote:
    weird, two threads on riding cross bikes off road. It'll be a harsh ride, and you'll need a LOT of skill to enjoy it, but it'll be fine.

FTFY

Its doable anythings doable on a CX but for it to be anything than a white knuckle sphincter puckering on the edge of needing a lift in a helicopter to hospital type of ride I would say something with a bit more laidback geometry would be advisable.

16fd0ce0fcee141c1b9bce7b96a211ff.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    stubs wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    weird, two threads on riding cross bikes off road. It'll be a harsh ride, and you'll need a LOT of skill to enjoy it, but it'll be fine.

FTFY

Its doable anythings doable on a CX but for it to be anything than a white knuckle sphincter puckering on the edge of needing a lift in a helicopter to hospital type of ride I would say something with a bit more laidback geometry would be advisable.

16fd0ce0fcee141c1b9bce7b96a211ff.jpg

Stop putting the man off, it'll be fine, make sure to take a video of the fun and games doing Jacobs Ladder on a CX bike.

Actually Jacobs might be a bit too hard, try Cavedale instead.

On a more sensible note, I'd say a fair bit of the Peaks around Edale would doable on a CX, at a slow pace.

Rushups Edge would be fine, I've seen a couple of folk on CX bikes doing the downhill to the PBW (although one had broken a couple of spokes when I went past)
    Mam tor - do you mean riding up/down from Hollins cross so on the huge block pavement or do you mean the downhill from the side of Mam Tor to the road, that'd be easy on any bike.

If you've done plenty of walking around there you should have a fairly good idea of what is and isn't rideable on a CX, no?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Briggo wrote:

Actually Jacobs might be a bit too hard, try Cavedale instead.

Ooh you nasty man :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mpatts
    Well, I've finally recovered.

I took the hardtail, did the classic edale --> hollins cross, round rushup then down jacobs ladder.

I never want to MTB again.
    Insert bike here:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    mpatts wrote:

I took the hardtail, did the classic edale --> hollins cross, round rushup then down jacobs ladder.

Can't tempt you to do it as a Night ride then?
  • mpatts
    ibbo68 wrote:
    mpatts wrote:

Can't tempt you to do it as a Night ride then?

Maybe, at least at night nobody would have seen the tears.
    Insert bike here:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Anything is possible on a cx bike if you have the talent. There's an old bloke who rides a cx bike around the Quantocks, I have seen him ride down trails which are more technical than a lot of black trails. He isn't fast but very smooth.