Gloves with finger protection

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Ive started using a lot of trails with brambles and gorse bush so lots of spiky stuff. Problem is the gorse likes to leave its needles usually in my fingers.which is pretty painful to be honest.
Ive been using my POC index flows which are great gloves just dont really stop me getting needled.

So on that note does anyone know of gloves with some kind of protection on the front of the fingers? All the ones ive seen focus on the knuckles

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    IMG_0001.JPG
    don't get them wet though, they rust like a bugger....
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    seriously though... have a look at motocross gloves, some have protection on the fingers to block roost.... (bad) example from google images,
    media.nl?id=6236&c=731612&h=563555f5b4438fe7c69f
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I have these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... -prod64531

They are just really thick and heavy duty.
  • If it is thick brambles, I would go with something like a Fox Dirt Paw. They offer protection on the knuckle and finger, but still have the control and grip on the palm.
    I use Fox Sidewinders. The thicker material on the fingers provides enough protection from thistles, nettles and whipping branches. Haven't had any trouble with brambles in the last couple of years - although I might be distracted by the pain of the torn flesh on my shins.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • As a regular rider on what I suspect is the same trails and bridleways as you, I'll tell you know, there is very little that will deflect things like gorse bushes and brambles etc., without being heavy and restrictive, unfortunately.

I know consider a ride around Woburn and Rushmere to be unsuccessful if I'm not picking the flora and fauna out of my skin two days later :D

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    As a regular rider on what I suspect is the same trails and bridleways as you, I'll tell you know, there is very little that will deflect things like gorse bushes and brambles etc., without being heavy and restrictive, unfortunately.

I know consider a ride around Woburn and Rushmere to be unsuccessful if I'm not picking the flora and fauna out of my skin two days later :D

Paul

This ^

I have some Delta Force paintball ones, with the protection for your fingers from the paintballs it's about as close as you might get withough having a welding glove!
  • step83
    Haha yeah its almost like your taking home souvenirs. I tried a trick my friend suggested which was cutting some gaffer tape to fit on to the front inside of the finger. Thats worked really well just end up with sweaty fingertips instead.
    I think its on of those things im going to have to keep doing till it stops hurting now.That an stop cutting corners so tightly.
  • Step83, if you do the "Thorn Trail" (which is over the road from the house on the bridleway), I find that, as soon as I cock-up and hit the gorse and brambles, I continue pinging into them like a pinball :)
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • step83
    Yeah I do that one also there's some single track when you go through the gate across from the house the one in front that goes steeply up with a lot of roots. There's also the one that brings out out beside the house the short sketchy drop through a rain channel.